Number of distinct base

• Thread starter infinityQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base
In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for the number of distinct bases of a k-dimensional vector space over a finite field and asks for concrete examples in the case of F being a field with 2 elements and W being a 2-dimensional vector space. The formula is (q^k - 1)(q^k - q)(q^k - q^2)...(q^k - q^(k-1)) and according to it, there should be 6 distinct bases for W. The suggested examples are (0,1)(1,0), (0,1)(1,1), (1,0)(0,1), (1,0)(1,1), (1,1)(0,
infinityQ
Hello, everyone.

I would like to get some concrete examples of the number of distinct bases of k-dimensional vector space W over a finite field F with q elements.

The formula for the number of distinct bases of W is ( p 412 Dummit )
(q^k - 1 )(q^k - q)(q^k - q^2)...(q^k - q ^(k-1) )

I am having a hard time finding an example of F with 2 elements and W be 2-dimensional vector space. According to the formula, 6 distinct bases of W should be acquired.

I will appreciate if anyone shows these 6 distinct bases of W.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
take the [tex]Z_2[/tex] field and the vector space [tex] (Z_2)^2 [/tex] meaning the vectors are { (0,0), (0,1), (1,0), (1,1) }
any two of the three last vectors are a base for the vector space

6 distinct bases of W might be

(0,1)(1,0)
(0,1)(1,1)
(1,0)(0,1)
(1,0)(1,1)
(1,1)(0,1)
(1,1)(1,0)

But my question is second one and fifth one, for instance, does not look distinct. So it seems to me just four distinct bases exists for W.

Any suggestion?

That formula counts ordered bases and not just any bases. So your second and fifth bases are actually different in this sense.

1. What is the definition of "Number of distinct base"?

The number of distinct base refers to the total number of unique bases (also known as nucleotides) present in a DNA sequence. These bases include adenine (A), guanine (G), cytosine (C), and thymine (T).

2. How is the number of distinct base calculated?

The number of distinct base is calculated by counting the total number of unique bases in a DNA sequence. Each different base is counted only once, regardless of how many times it appears in the sequence.

3. Why is the number of distinct base important in genetics?

The number of distinct base is important in genetics as it helps to determine the genetic variation within a population. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the function and structure of DNA, which is the genetic material that carries instructions for the development and functioning of all living organisms.

4. Can the number of distinct base vary in different organisms?

Yes, the number of distinct base can vary in different organisms. For example, humans have a total of 4 distinct bases in their DNA (A, G, C, T), while other organisms such as bacteria may have different combinations or even additional bases.

5. How does the number of distinct base affect genetic mutations?

The number of distinct base can affect genetic mutations by determining the likelihood of a mutation occurring. A mutation is a change in the DNA sequence, and the more distinct bases present, the higher the chances of a mutation occurring. Therefore, the number of distinct base is crucial in understanding and predicting the occurrence of genetic mutations.