Solving for the Largest Positive Integer n

In summary, the largest positive integer n such that n^3 + 100 is divisible by n + 10 is 890. The hint given was to use (mod n + 10) to eliminate n, and the final solution was obtained by setting 900 = n + 10.
Trail_Builder

Homework Statement

Find the largest positive integer n such that n^3 + 100 is divisible by n + 10.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The hint I've been given is to use (mod n + 10) to get rid of the n.

but i don't quite see how it would work :S

all my attempts have gotten nowhere, lol.

a little prod in the right direction would be nice :)

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
My method would be to just use any polynomial dividing technique to find the remainder of (n^3+100)/(n+10). If n^3+100 is divisible by n+10, then the remainder will have to be an integer.

right, i think i may have a solution to this problem. can someone please check it for me :) thanks.

say that n^3 + 100 is divisible by n + 10.

then n^3 + 100 = 0 (mod n + 10)

n = -10 (mod n + 10)

so (-10)^3 + 100 = 0 (mod n + 10)

... 0 = 900 (mod n + 10)

we want to maximise n, and because the above line essentially means that 900 is an integer multiple of (n + 10), the maximum n would be when 900 = n +10

so n = 890...

is this reasoning correct?

Looks good to me:approve: I got the same thing using polynomial division.

What is the purpose of solving for the largest positive integer n?

The purpose of solving for the largest positive integer n is to find the maximum value of a positive integer that satisfies a given condition or equation. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

What is the value of n when solving for the largest positive integer?

The value of n can vary depending on the specific problem or equation being solved. It is typically an unknown variable that needs to be determined through the process of solving the equation.

How is solving for the largest positive integer n different from finding the smallest positive integer?

Solving for the largest positive integer involves finding the maximum value that satisfies a given condition or equation, while finding the smallest positive integer involves finding the minimum value that satisfies the same condition or equation. This can lead to different solutions and approaches in the problem-solving process.

What methods can be used to solve for the largest positive integer n?

There are various methods that can be used to solve for the largest positive integer n, such as trial and error, algebraic manipulation, and mathematical algorithms. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific problem and the available information.

Are there any limitations or restrictions when solving for the largest positive integer n?

Yes, there can be limitations or restrictions when solving for the largest positive integer n. These can include constraints on the possible values of n, as well as limitations on the methods or tools that can be used to solve the problem. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when approaching a problem.