Blocks on Floor - Tension between blocks

In summary: The back block will have friction, the pulling force, and the tension of the rope acting on it. The front block will only have the tension of the rope and friction. Both will have an acceleration, a.
PhysicslyDSBL

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1 = 2 kg and a block of mass m2 = 3 kg are tied together and are pulled from rest across the floor by a force of Fp = 25 N. The coefficient of friction of the blocks with the floor is µ = 0.3.

a) What is the acceleration of the two blocks? Answer: 2.06m/s^2

b) What is the tension in the string between the blocks?

Homework Equations

For a) F=ma

For b) F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a) m=5 and a=9.8 the answer was 49. I then multiplied 49 by 0.3 to get 14.7N. 14.7N was then subtracted from 25N to get 10.3N. 10.3N was then divided by 5 to get 2.06m/s^2.

b) Each block sould be calculated seperatley. Block m1 is 2kg and block m2 is 5kg. They are being pulled to the right with T (tension) between m1 and m2. Each block has different normal forces, m1=2 and m2=5. I used F=ma: 2(9.8)=19.6N and 5(9.8)=49N.

The front block will have friction, the pulling force, and the tension of the rope acting on it. The back block will only have the tension of the rope and friction. Both will have an acceleration, a.

Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PhysicslyDSBL! :smile:
PhysicslyDSBL said:
A block of mass m1 = 2 kg and a block of mass m2 = 3 kg are tied together and are pulled from rest across the floor by a force of Fp = 25 N. The coefficient of friction of the blocks with the floor is µ = 0.3.

b) What is the tension in the string between the blocks?

b) … The front block will have friction, the pulling force, and the tension of the rope acting on it. The back block will only have the tension of the rope and friction. Both will have an acceleration, a.

That's right! :smile:

So, using the acceleration from part a), do F = ma (in the horizontal direction) for the back block. :wink:

Thanks Tiny Tim!

Maybe I have been staring at physics too long today 'cause I'm sure this is more obvious than it seems to me right now.

So a=2.06, m=2 (the back block) which equals 4.12N. a does not equal 9.8 because this is the horizontal.

It makes sense to me that the above should be the answer but its not. If I am still missing something can someone please fill me in?

Thanks much!

PhysicslyDSBL said:
So a=2.06, m=2 (the back block) which equals 4.12N.
This is the net force on the back block. Note that the rope tension is only one of the horizontal forces acting on the block. What's the other?

The other force would be the pulling force on both blocks. I am unsure about what to do with this.

My book gives: F-T=m1a and T=m2a

m1 and m2 seem to be backwards in this problem as the rope is connected between m1 and m2 [m2]------[m1]-----

F=force (net force? 4.12)
T=tension
m1 = 2kg
m2 = 3kg

10.3-T=2(2.06)
T=3(2.06)

Substituting, this would equal 0.

Sorry I'm getting so confused

Doc Al said:
This is the net force on the back block. Note that the rope tension is only one of the horizontal forces acting on the block. What's the other?
PhysicslyDSBL said:
The other force would be the pulling force on both blocks.

Hi PhysicslyDSBL! :smile:

No … Doc Al :smile: is asking you for the other (horizontal) force on the back block.

In F = ma, F is the net force, so you must find all the horizontal forces, and add them.

Look at the question again, and draw a diagram, with all the forces on it! :wink:

Thanks for all the help everyone!

After a few more calculations and substitutions I finally got the answer of 10N.

1. What is the purpose of studying the tension between blocks on a floor?

The study of tension between blocks on a floor helps to understand the forces at play in a system and how they affect the stability and movement of the blocks. This is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics.

2. How is tension between blocks on a floor measured?

Tension between blocks on a floor is typically measured using a force gauge or through mathematical calculations based on the weight and angle of the blocks.

3. What factors affect the tension between blocks on a floor?

The tension between blocks on a floor is affected by various factors such as the weight and shape of the blocks, the surface they are placed on, and the angle at which they are positioned.

4. Can the tension between blocks on a floor be greater than the weight of the blocks?

Yes, the tension between blocks on a floor can be greater than the weight of the blocks. This can occur when the blocks are positioned at an angle, causing the force of gravity to act on the blocks in a different direction and increasing the tension between them.

5. How does friction play a role in the tension between blocks on a floor?

Friction between the blocks and the floor can affect the tension between the blocks, as it can either increase or decrease the force needed to move the blocks. This is because friction creates resistance against movement, which can impact the amount of tension between the blocks.