Inorganic and Physical Chemistry

In summary, the speaker is planning on taking a unit on inorganic and physical chemistry next semester and is looking for recommendations for supplementary textbooks. They have heard good things about Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry" and are open to other suggestions. Another person recommends Zumdahl for AP chem and Morrison and Boyd's "Organic Chemistry" as additional resources.
danago
Gold Member
Hey.
Next semester i plan on taking a unit on inorganic and physical chemistry. At the moment my collection of chemistry textbooks is a bit miserable (consisting of only my high school chem book) so id like to add to it. I will purchase whatever textbook is required for the course, but i always like to have supplementary material for extra study and extra questions, and seeing as I am most probably going to be majoring in chemical engineering, I am sure they will come in handy as references later down the track.

Does anybody have any recommendations? I have heard a few good comments about Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry", so that's one i'll consider, but open to all suggestions.

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used Zumdahl for AP chem, and my cousin used the same text at UPenn when he did his undergrad degree.

Thanks, ill have a look at that one.

Anyone else have suggestions?

I know it's not related to the topic, but definitely Carey's Organic. Morrison and Boyd are cool too.

1. What is the difference between inorganic and physical chemistry?

Inorganic chemistry is the study of compounds that do not contain carbon, while physical chemistry is the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter. Inorganic chemistry focuses on the chemical reactions and structures of non-living substances, while physical chemistry studies the underlying principles and theories that govern these reactions and properties.

2. How are inorganic and physical chemistry related?

Inorganic and physical chemistry are closely related as they both involve the study of matter and its properties. Physical chemistry provides the theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of inorganic compounds, while inorganic chemistry provides the practical applications of physical chemistry principles.

3. What are some examples of inorganic compounds?

Inorganic compounds include substances such as salts, metals, minerals, and non-metallic compounds such as oxides and halides. Examples of inorganic compounds include sodium chloride (table salt), calcium carbonate (chalk), and silicon dioxide (sand).

4. How is physical chemistry used in industry?

Physical chemistry is used in industry to study and improve processes such as chemical reactions, production of materials, and development of new products. It is also used in quality control to ensure the consistency and purity of products, as well as in research and development to discover new materials and technologies.

5. What are some common techniques used in physical chemistry?

Some common techniques used in physical chemistry include spectroscopy, chromatography, electrochemistry, and thermodynamics. These techniques allow scientists to study the physical properties and behavior of matter, such as its energy, structure, and composition.