What things can i do with set of X and Y variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving input of X and Y variables and the implementation of linear and polynomial regression. The person is seeking suggestions for other tasks to be done in Java that are not too complicated and can be completed soon. Some potential ideas mentioned are computing squared errors/correlation, using F-scores for regression coefficients, implementing logistic regression, and creating a normal quantile plot for regression errors. The person also mentions wanting to include distributions in the project.
pablo26
Hi i am currently doing a project and I am taking as input a set of X and Y variables.
I have implemented linear regression and polynomial regression (i have a panel of functions)..so i was wondering if anybody could suggest maybe one or two other things i could implement with the x and y data sets that can be done in java and is not too complicated as i have to submit it soon. thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
A note on terminology: you mean you have one variable X, and one variable Y, and a number of values for those variables.

What you might do depends on what your assignment is looking for. Do you compute squared errors/correlation, or F-scores for your regression coefficients? Those are useful. If you want to do entirely different kinds of regression you might try implementing logistic regression (although that might be a little trickier since it is not closed form and must be computed numerically). A normal quantile plot for your regression error is another thing you could do.

Hi well this isn't an assignment but a project that i get to choose what goes but as i am running short on time i don't want anything to heavy. Just some things to make it look more detailed the normal quartile plots is one and i was wondering if there are any distributions that are not too much work that might apply... thanks for your help.

1. What is the purpose of using a set of X and Y variables in scientific research?

The use of X and Y variables in scientific research allows for the identification and analysis of potential relationships between two or more factors. By manipulating and measuring these variables, scientists can gain a better understanding of how they may be interconnected and influence one another.

2. How do you determine which variables to include in a study?

The selection of variables for a study depends on the research question and hypothesis being tested. Scientists may also consider previous research, theoretical frameworks, and potential confounding factors when choosing which variables to include.

3. Can X and Y variables be used to establish causation?

While the use of X and Y variables can provide evidence of a potential relationship, it cannot definitively establish causation. Other factors, such as confounding variables, must be considered and controlled for in order to establish a causal relationship between variables.

4. How can you effectively analyze a set of X and Y variables?

There are various statistical methods that can be used to analyze a set of X and Y variables, such as regression analysis, correlation analysis, and ANOVA. The choice of analysis method will depend on the type of variables and the research question being investigated.

5. What are the limitations of using X and Y variables in research?

One limitation of using X and Y variables is that they may not fully capture all the complexities and nuances of a phenomenon. Additionally, the relationship between variables may be influenced by other factors that are not being measured. It is important for scientists to carefully consider and address these limitations in their research.