Visualizing Dependence of f(x,y) on s(x,y) and t(x,y)

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter OB1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to create a contour plot of a function dependent on two other functions. The goal is to have all three plots displayed simultaneously, but the current attempt only results in a blank plot. Suggestions are requested for possible solutions.
OB1
(Sorry about the convoluted title)
I have a (very messy) function, say f(x,y), which is dependent upon two other functions, say s(x,y) and t(x,y). I'd like to do a contour plot of f(x,y)'s dependence on s(x,y) and t(x,y) - i.e. have s(x,y) and t(x,y) on the margins. I don't get an error when I try this, I just get a blank contour plot. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

So you are trying to display 3 different contour plots simultaneously? I believe you can do that simply with a list of the plots.

Last edited:

I understand the importance of visualizing data in order to gain a better understanding of its patterns and relationships. In this case, it seems that you are attempting to create a contour plot of the function f(x,y) while also incorporating the variables s(x,y) and t(x,y) on the margins. While this may seem like a straightforward task, it is important to consider the complexity of the data and the potential for errors in the plotting process.

It is possible that the blank contour plot you are seeing could be due to a few different reasons. One possibility is that there may be missing or incorrect data in your dataset, which could result in a lack of visible contours on the plot. Another possibility is that the ranges of the variables s(x,y) and t(x,y) may be too large or too small, causing the contours to be compressed or spread out too much to be visible.

To troubleshoot this issue, I would suggest checking your dataset for any missing or incorrect data points, as well as ensuring that the ranges of the variables are appropriate for the contour plot. Additionally, it may be helpful to adjust the resolution of the plot to see if that makes a difference.

Furthermore, it may be beneficial to consider alternative methods of visualizing the relationship between f(x,y) and the variables s(x,y) and t(x,y). For example, a 3D plot or a scatter plot with color mapping could provide a clearer representation of the data.

In conclusion, visualizing the dependence of f(x,y) on s(x,y) and t(x,y) can be a challenging task, but with careful consideration of the data and appropriate adjustments, it is possible to create a meaningful and informative plot.

1. What is the purpose of visualizing dependence of f(x,y) on s(x,y) and t(x,y)?

The purpose of visualizing dependence of f(x,y) on s(x,y) and t(x,y) is to understand how the variables s and t affect the function f. This can provide insight into the relationship between the variables and help identify any patterns or trends.

2. How do you create a visual representation of dependence of f(x,y) on s(x,y) and t(x,y)?

To create a visual representation, you can use a graph or plot where the axes represent the values of s and t, and the values of f are represented by the height or color of the plot points. Other methods, such as contour plots or heat maps, can also be used to visualize the relationship.

3. What types of functions can be visualized using dependence on s(x,y) and t(x,y)?

Any function that depends on two variables, f(x,y), can be visualized using dependence on s(x,y) and t(x,y). This includes linear, quadratic, exponential, and trigonometric functions.

4. How can visualizing dependence of f(x,y) on s(x,y) and t(x,y) be useful in research?

Visualizing dependence of f(x,y) on s(x,y) and t(x,y) can be useful in identifying relationships and patterns between variables, which can lead to a deeper understanding of the phenomenon being studied. This can also help in making predictions and testing hypotheses.

5. Are there any limitations to visualizing dependence of f(x,y) on s(x,y) and t(x,y)?

One limitation is that visualizing dependence may only show a correlation between variables, not necessarily causation. Additionally, the accuracy of the visualization depends on the accuracy of the data and the chosen method of visualization. It is important to interpret the results carefully and consider other factors that may influence the relationship between the variables.