Moment if inertia of a point mass

In summary, the first problem asks for the moment of inertia of a point mass about a specific point in the XY-plane, given its initial position and the height it falls after a certain time under gravity. The answer is m(a^2 + h^2). The second problem considers an Atwood machine and asks about the behavior of the system after a certain time. The torque is found to be [m1R^2 + m2R^2 + I](alpha), and the MI of m1 about the center of the pulley is m1R^2, which will change with time.
i_island0

Homework Statement

I am struggling with a simple point.
Suppose a particle of mass 'm' is located at (a, b) in XY plane (a,b > 0). Gravity is in -Y direction. The particle is to let fall under gravity. Suppose it falls by a height 'h' after some time 't'. I have two questions.
(i) What is moment of inertia of the point mass about the point (0, b)
(ii) What is the moment of inertia of the point mass about the axis passing through O parallel to Z axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answers are:
(i) m (a^2 + h^2)
(ii) ma^2

Comment if possible, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi i_island0,

i_island0 said:

Homework Statement

I am struggling with a simple point.
Suppose a particle of mass 'm' is located at (a, b) in XY plane (a,b > 0). Gravity is in -Y direction. The particle is to let fall under gravity. Suppose it falls by a height 'h' after some time 't'. I have two questions.
(i) What is moment of inertia of the point mass about the point (0, b)
(ii) What is the moment of inertia of the point mass about the axis passing through O parallel to Z axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answers are:
(i) m (a^2 + h^2)

That looks right to me.

(ii) ma^2

I don't believe this is correct; how did you arrive at this answer?

When the question speaks about the axis through point O parallel to the Z-axis, do you just mean that the rotation axis is along the Z-axis? (That is, point O is the origin, right?) Notice that your answer (ma^2) would mean that the particle is a distance (a) away from the rotation axis under question.

firstly, the particle is not rotating about point O it is just falling under gravity.
Secondly, let's look at another problem.
Q. Consider an Atwood machine with pulley having mass M, radius R and sufficient friction such that the thread doesn't slip on it. The masses on the two sides are m1 and m2. (Let m1 > m2). Initially the system is at rest. What will happen after time 't'.

Let 'v' be the speed of each block after time 't'.

Let's write their angular momentum: L = m1 v R + m2 v R + Iw.

Rate of change of angular momentum is the net torque.Thus,
Torque = dL/dt = m1 a R + m2 a R + I(alpha) = m1 (alpha.R) R + m2 (alpha.R) R + I(alpha)
= [m1.R^2 + m2.R^2 + I](alpha)

Can't we now say that net torque = (Total MI)(alpha)

Thus, MI of m1 about the center of the pulley = m1R^2

i_island0 said:
firstly, the particle is not rotating about point O it is just falling under gravity.

I know the particle is not rotating in a circle about point O, but it's straight line motion is moving it about point O.

The thing is to consider the position vector, pointing from point O to the particle. Since the position vector is changing it's angle around point O, that is the motion about point O. This picture is important for considering your next problem.

Secondly, let's look at another problem.
Q. Consider an Atwood machine with pulley having mass M, radius R and sufficient friction such that the thread doesn't slip on it. The masses on the two sides are m1 and m2. (Let m1 > m2). Initially the system is at rest. What will happen after time 't'.

Let 'v' be the speed of each block after time 't'.

Let's write their angular momentum: L = m1 v R + m2 v R + Iw.

Rate of change of angular momentum is the net torque.Thus,
Torque = dL/dt = m1 a R + m2 a R + I(alpha) = m1 (alpha.R) R + m2 (alpha.R) R + I(alpha)
= [m1.R^2 + m2.R^2 + I](alpha)

Up to this point everything is okay. But when you used:

a --> (alpha) R

remember that you were doing nothing more than relating the linear acceleration of the mass to the angular acceleration of the pulley. The important point is that alpha is not the angular acceleration of the mass.

Can't we now say that net torque = (Total MI)(alpha)

You would need to say something like:

net torque = (total MI) (alpha')

because this angular acceleration alpha' is not the same as the alpha from the previous equation.

(Recall that alpha described how the pulley mass moved around its axis--so setting alpha'=alpha would mean that all parts of the system moved around the axis the same way. But as you pointed out, the masses are not rotating in circles around the axis, so they will have a different angular acceleration, and so the total system angular acceleration will be different.)

Thus, MI of m1 about the center of the pulley = m1R^2

Just as in your previous problem the MI of m1 will be

(m1) (distance from pulley axis)^2

and this will change with time.

What is the moment of inertia of a point mass?

The moment of inertia of a point mass refers to the measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion around a particular axis. It is also commonly known as rotational inertia.

How is the moment of inertia of a point mass calculated?

The moment of inertia of a point mass can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the significance of the moment of inertia of a point mass?

The moment of inertia of a point mass plays a crucial role in determining the torque required to rotate an object around a specific axis. It also helps in understanding the rotational motion and stability of an object.

How does the moment of inertia of a point mass change with the distance from the axis of rotation?

The moment of inertia of a point mass is directly proportional to the square of the distance from the axis of rotation. This means that the further the mass is from the axis, the larger the moment of inertia will be.

What are some real-life examples of the moment of inertia of a point mass?

Some real-life examples of the moment of inertia of a point mass include a spinning top, a rotating bicycle wheel, and a spinning figure skater. These objects exhibit different moments of inertia based on their mass distribution and distance from the axis of rotation.