Does dx does not make change in front of the integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of "dx" in front of an integral and its purpose as a formality to denote the variable being integrated or derived over. The experts stress that "dx" should not be interpreted as a multiplication, and it should be ignored in calculations. They also mention that the notation is a historical artifact and that in advanced courses, the fundamental rules of calculus are explained in the language of set theory.
Дьявол
Does "dx" does not make change in front of the integral?

Hello I got one question. I am confused by seeing dx in front of the integral.

For ex.

[tex]\int f(x) dx = F(x) + C[/tex]

where

[tex]F'\!(x) =\frac {d}{dx} F(x) = f(x).[/tex]

As we know F'(x)=f(x), then why F'(x) = f(x) . dx

Isn't supposed to be F'(x)=f(x) and not F'(x)=f(x) . dx??

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Дьявол said:
Isn't supposed to be F'(x)=f(x) and not F'(x)=f(x) . dx??

The former is correct. F'(x) = f(x). Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar.

The "dx" is just a formality. It tells you which variable you are integrating or deriving over.

The [itex]dx[/itex] inside the integral is a "dummy variable." It could be just as well be any other variable. If you look in you math book for a more precise statement of the fundamental theorem of calculus, it actually says
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^x f(y) dy = f(x) [/tex]

Note specifically how [itex]x[/itex] appears in the limit of integration and how the differentials don't "cancel out." The other direction looks like this
[tex] \int_a^x \frac{df}{dy} \,dy = f(x) - f(a) [/tex]

in this case the differentials can be thought of as "canceling out"
[tex] \int_a^x \frac{df}{dy} \,dy = \int_a^x df = \Delta f = f(x) - f(a) [/tex]

Thanks for the replies.

Tac-Tics said:
The former is correct. F'(x) = f(x). Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar.

The "dx" is just a formality. It tells you which variable you are integrating or deriving over.

Yes but,
[tex]
\int f(x) dx = F(x) + C
[/tex]

States that F'(x)=f(x).dx and if dx=1 then F'(x)=f(x).

matonski said:
The [itex]dx[/itex] inside the integral is a "dummy variable." It could be just as well be any other variable. If you look in you math book for a more precise statement of the fundamental theorem of calculus, it actually says
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^x f(y) dy = f(x) [/tex]

Note specifically how [itex]x[/itex] appears in the limit of integration and how the differentials don't "cancel out." The other direction looks like this
[tex] \int_a^x \frac{df}{dy} \,dy = f(x) - f(a) [/tex]

in this case the differentials can be thought of as "canceling out"
[tex] \int_a^x \frac{df}{dy} \,dy = \int_a^x df = \Delta f = f(x) - f(a) [/tex]

And is d/dx in the integral above d(f(x))/ dx ?

Дьявол said:
... States that F'(x)=f(x).dx and if dx=1 then F'(x)=f(x) ...

Like I said, the dx is just a formality. It's an artifact of leibniz notation, and it's mathematically rigorous (there's another thread that discusses this at length).

The prime notation (F(x)) signifies the derivative. If F is an antiderivative of f, then (by definition of an antiderivative) F'(x) = f(x).

There is no dx involved. In Leibniz notation, it would be spelled

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}F(x) = f(x)[/tex]

Hi Дьявол! :smile:
Дьявол said:
… F'(x)=f(x).dx …

Sorry, but Tac-Tics :smile: is completely right …

"F'(x)=f(x).dx" is just plain wrong …

you can't have a differential (d-something) on one side of an equation but not on the other side.

Yes, I know that it is completely wrong, that's what I am asking.
If F'(x)=f(x) then

[tex]
\int f(x) = F(x) + C
[/tex]

and not
[tex]
\int f(x) dx = F(x) + C
[/tex]

That's why I was asking if "dx" changes something.

Дьявол said:
Yes, I know that it is completely wrong, that's what I am asking.
If F'(x)=f(x) then

[tex]
\int f(x) = F(x) + C
[/tex]

and not
[tex]
\int f(x) dx = F(x) + C
[/tex]

That's why I was asking if "dx" changes something.

Again, the dx here is just an artifact of leibniz notation. You can safely ignore it. When you include the dx, it has a certain symmetry with the rest of leibniz notation. [tex]\int[/tex] becomes almost-the-opposite of [tex]d[/tex]. So you can make arguments like this:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(x) = y[/tex]
[tex]df(x) = y dx[/tex]
[tex]\int df(x) = \int y dx[/tex]
[tex]f(x) = \int y dx[/tex]

But again, this is just a convenient coincidence. Be wary of those "plus C"s.

Thanks for the reply. I know that d(f(x))/dx is Leibniz notation for f'(x).
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}F(x) = F'(x)
[/tex]

[tex]\int{\frac{dF(x)}{dx}}=\int{F'(x)}[/tex]
[tex]
\int{\frac{dF(x)}{dx}}=F(x)
[/tex]Since

[tex]F'\!(x) =\frac {d}{dx} F(x) = f(x). [/tex]

then

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} F(x)=f(x)[/tex]

So

[tex]\int{\frac{dF(x)}{dx}}=F(x)[/tex]

becomes

[tex]\int{f(x)}=F(x)+C[/tex]

Tac-Tics said:
[tex]
\int df(x) = \int y dx
[/tex]

Exactly. And df(x)=f '(x)dx , so you say that

[tex]\int{f ' (x)dx}=\int{f ' (x)}[/tex]

You made df(x) and f'(x) equal, i.e f'(x)dx=f'(x).

Sorry, for being rebelde, "dx" is kinda irritating.

Дьявол said:
Sorry, for being rebelde, "dx" is kinda irritating.

The dx is a pain in the but. My advice: just ignore it, but try to follow the convention your teacher uses. Usually, it will be as simple as "always have a dx under the integral sign" and "put a dx under every d or df".

The dx's are just a historical thing, carried over from back in the day when mathematicians didn't really know what the hell made calculus work.

If you go on to take an analysis class in college, all the fundamental rules of calculus will be spelled out in the elegant language of set theory.

Tac-Tics said:
The dx is a pain in the but. My advice: just ignore it, but try to follow the convention your teacher uses. Usually, it will be as simple as "always have a dx under the integral sign" and "put a dx under every d or df".

The dx's are just a historical thing, carried over from back in the day when mathematicians didn't really know what the hell made calculus work.

If you go on to take an analysis class in college, all the fundamental rules of calculus will be spelled out in the elegant language of set theory.

Thank you for the explanation. I have just finished high school, now my plan is to go to college.

As I try to solve several integrals using x' (since x'=1 and doesn't change anything to the integral) instead of dx, I see that it is just dummy variable which does not change anything in the integral.

Regards.

Дьявол said:
Thank you for the explanation. I have just finished high school, now my plan is to go to college.

I remember when I was in my high school calculus class, I struggled with understanding the "algebra" of calculus in the same way you are. The problem is is that this mixed up "dx" and "plus C" business usually gets you to the correct answer, even though it is not technically sound.

If you're really ambitious, try picking up an introductory book on analysis. After learning basic analysis, everything made sense. You learn what a limit is. You learn what a real number *really* is (without appealing to "infinite", nonrepeating decimals). You can prove all those handy calculus identities that come out of nowhere, such as the linearity of the integral and derivative and the chain rule.

1. What does dx mean in front of an integral?

The dx in front of an integral represents the variable of integration, which is the variable that the integral is being taken with respect to.

2. Does adding or subtracting dx change the value of the integral?

No, adding or subtracting dx does not change the value of the integral because dx is just a notation for the variable of integration and does not affect the actual calculation of the integral.

3. Can you solve an integral without using dx?

Yes, an integral can be solved without using dx, but it is important to include it in the notation to show which variable the integral is being taken with respect to.

4. Why is dx used in integrals?

Dx is used in integrals to represent the variable of integration and to indicate which variable the integral is being taken with respect to. It helps to clarify the meaning and context of the integral.

5. Is dx the same as delta x?

No, dx and delta x have different meanings in the context of integrals. Dx represents the variable of integration, while delta x represents a small change in the variable of integration.