Solve Medication Problem: Take Exactly 1 A & 1 B Pill

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, it is important to take one tablet of medicine A and one tablet of medicine B daily, without taking more of either or taking one without the other. If you accidentally mix up the pills, you can use pill cutting techniques to ensure you have the correct dosages for each day.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
You've been placed on a course of expensive medication in which you are to take one tablet of medicine A and one tablet of medicine B daily. You must be careful that you take just one of each because taking more of either can have serious side effects. Taking an A without taking a B, or vice versa, can also be very serious, because they must be taken together in order to be effective. In summary, you must take exactly one of the A pills and one of the B pills at one time. Therefore, you open up the A bottle, and you tap one A pill into your hand. You put that bottle aside and you open the B bottle. You do the same, but by mistake, two Bs fall into your hand with the A pill. Now, here's the problem. You weren't watching your hand as the pills fell into it, so you can't tell the A pill apart from the two B pills.

The pills look identical. They are the same size, same weight, same color, same everything, and they are not marked differently in any way. What are you going to do? You cannot tell which pill is which, and they cost $100 a piece, so you cannot afford to throw them away and start over again. How do you get your daily dose of exactly one A and exactly one B without wasting any of the pills?

Physics news on Phys.org
Put those pills away. Take out 1 more of A and 1 more of B. Use as necessary. See your pharmacist the following day and ask which is which. (does this count as cheating?)

You do not know which pill is which, but you are 100% sure that each of the two piles now contains two halves of pill B and half of pill A.

Now go back into the pill A box, take out a pill, cut it in half, and add one half to each stack. Now you have two stacks, each one containing two halves of pill A and two halves of pill B.

Take one stack of pills today, and save the second stack for tomorrow. And the problem is solved."

Dave said:
You do not know which pill is which, but you are 100% sure that each of the two piles now contains two halves of pill B and half of pill A.

Now go back into the pill A box, take out a pill, cut it in half, and add one half to each stack. Now you have two stacks, each one containing two halves of pill A and two halves of pill B.

Take one stack of pills today, and save the second stack for tomorrow. And the problem is solved."
You read the answer! :devil: How do I know? You forgot to mention why you now have two piles with half pills. grrrr :rolleyes:

You're not supposed to cheat! You ruined it for everyone else. :mad:

Last edited:
Evo said:
You ruined it for everyone else. :mad:

Make him explain it porperly then.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Evo,

I would highly recommend changing the context of the puzzle so the key words are un-Googleable. I do this all the time with puzzles that I post.

You could have had a metallurgist make alloys of precious metals. Or a biochemist racemizing some carefully synthesized compound.

The Bob said:
Make him explain it porperly then.

The Bob (2004 ©)

The answer is out. You take the original 3 pills, cut them in half. Put the three left halves in a pile and the tree right halves in another pile. Clearly, each pile has 1 B amd 1/2 A.

Maybe Dave worked it out in his head but screwed up while writing it down - you know, wanting to be first and all that !

Gokul43201 said:
Maybe Dave worked it out in his head but screwed up while writing it down - you know, wanting to be first and all that !
Nope he copied and pasted the answer, it's verbatim from the website.

If there were actually two pills of exactly the same "everything", why you thought it was only one, and if you thought it was only one, why you used the word "two" pills here ?
If you think it is one pill, you are probably wrong
If you think it is 2 different pills, you are also probably wrong.
What if those pills' maker deliberately made the two exactly the same ? What if they are twins ?

:)-- lol-- :)

Gokul43201 said:
The answer is out. You take the original 3 pills, cut them in half. Put the three left halves in a pile and the tree right halves in another pile. Clearly, each pile has 1 B amd 1/2 A.

Oh right. That makes sense. I see that cheating has its faults. What did Sherlock Holmes say once. Something like anythin planned by a human mind can be solved. Hehe. Caught out Dave. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

That puzzle wasn't very hard anyway.

loseyourname said:
That puzzle wasn't very hard anyway.

Yer but when I had a read of what Dave wrote it made no sense and I thought 'how can that be correct?' Never mind :rolleyes:

The Bob (2004 ©)

I'm a risk taker... I'd take both 'n hope for the best.

jimmy p said:
I'm a risk taker... I'd take both 'n hope for the best.

Hex yer. Go for it. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Do like Bob, take them all, then sue both companies for not having identifying marks on their "dangerous" pills. Exagerate emotional damages, join in all the other people that have taken the two drugs and then receive a paltry settlement while the attorney collects a million. All of this will drive the price of the drug sky high and the company will re-market it as a "brand new miracle drug" and make sure that it has marks of originality.

1. How do I solve the medication problem of taking exactly 1 A & 1 B pill?

The best way to solve this medication problem is to first consult with your doctor or pharmacist. They can provide specific instructions on how to properly take the medications and any potential interactions between the two pills. Additionally, you can use a pill organizer or set reminders to ensure you are taking the correct number of pills.

2. What should I do if I accidentally take more than 1 A & 1 B pill?

If you accidentally take more than the recommended dose of 1 A & 1 B pill, it is important to contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately. They can advise on any potential side effects or next steps to take. It is important to never take more than the recommended dose of any medication.

3. Can I take both the A & B pill at the same time?

It is important to follow the recommended dosing instructions for both the A & B pill. If instructed to take them at the same time, you can do so. However, if there are specific instructions to take them at different times, it is important to follow those guidelines to ensure the effectiveness of the medications.

4. Is it safe to take other medications with 1 A & 1 B pill?

It is important to consult with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any other medications while on 1 A & 1 B pill. They can advise on any potential interactions or if it is safe to take them together. It is important to always disclose all medications you are taking to your healthcare provider.

5. What should I do if I miss a dose of 1 A & 1 B pill?

If you miss a dose of 1 A & 1 B pill, it is important to contact your doctor or pharmacist for guidance. They may advise you to take the missed dose as soon as possible or to skip it and continue with your regular dosing schedule. It is important to not double up on doses to make up for a missed one.