Kinetic Energy in Joules of an Object

In summary, kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, calculated by multiplying half of the object's mass by its velocity squared. It is measured in joules (J) and is directly proportional to an object's mass and velocity. Kinetic energy can also be converted into other forms of energy through processes like friction or collisions.
jpartdq

Homework Statement

A car is traveling at a constant 60 miles per hour. What is its kinetic energy in Joules if its mass is 800 kg?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2m * v2 (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

½(800kg)*(26.82 m/s)2 = 287,724 kg * m2/s2 = 287,724 J

I hope that looks right. I'm a business major and my advisor suggested this Physics class as "easy" for business majors. So far its not going so well. LOL Any help someone can offer on my solution would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me.

Your solution is correct! The formula you used is the correct equation for calculating kinetic energy, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. In this case, the mass of the car is 800 kg and its velocity is 60 miles per hour, which is equivalent to 26.82 meters per second. Plugging these values into the equation gives us a kinetic energy of 287,724 Joules.

It's great that you are taking a physics class as a business major! Physics is a fundamental science that can help you understand and analyze various real-world situations, including those in business. Keep up the good work!

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated by multiplying half of the object's mass by its velocity squared.

3. What is the unit of measurement for kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is measured in joules (J), which is a unit of energy in the International System of Units (SI).

4. How does the mass and velocity of an object affect its kinetic energy?

The kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to both its mass and velocity. This means that as the mass or velocity of an object increases, its kinetic energy will also increase.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy, through processes like friction or collisions.