Is there a way of proving that all positive numbers have a real square root?

In summary, the conversation discussed the proof that sqrt2 is not a rational number and how to prove its existence as an irrational number. The proof used the intermediate value theorem and the properties of real numbers, such as the existence of square roots and the least upper bound property. The conversation also touched on the definition of continuity and the properties of polynomial functions. It was mentioned that the existence of square roots is a basic property of the real numbers, and that the reals fill in the "holes" left by the rationals.
nietzsche

Homework Statement

My prof showed us the proof that sqrt2 is not a rational number. She said, however, that we haven't proved that it is irrational, because we haven't proved that sqrt2 exists. How would we go about proving this?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't really a homework question, it's just curiosity. I think she said something about showing that sqrt2 is a solution to x^2 - 2 = 0, and that when you graph this function, it does indeed intersect the x-axis sqrt2. But that seemed a bit fishy (or incomplete, or something...) to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing fishy about the proof that Regina (I see that you`re in MAT157 too) gave. It just wasn't completely rigorous because we haven’t proved the intermediate value theorem yet, which is what she used. When you think of any polynomial function, it’s continuous, right? Even without defining continuity, you have some intuitive idea what a continuous function should look like. Drawing the graph of a polynomial and seeing that the graph of it “never breaks”, then intuitively you can see that it’s continuous. Regina showed that for some x, the function f(x) = x^2 – 2 was greater than 0, and for some other x it was less than 0. Remembering that f is continuous, this must mean that f has to pass through the x-axis, meaning there is a solution to the equation x^2 -2 = 0, which is what we were trying to prove.
You can do this for any real number c. Just write f(x) = x^2 – c. It’s easy to see that it’s possible to take x large enough so that x^2 > c. This implies x^2 – c > 0. And if you take x = 0, f(0) = 0^2 – c = -c < 0. So f must have a root and thus there exists a solution to our equation.

JG89 said:
Nothing fishy about the proof that Regina (I see that you`re in MAT157 too) gave. It just wasn't completely rigorous because we haven’t proved the intermediate value theorem yet, which is what she used. When you think of any polynomial function, it’s continuous, right? Even without defining continuity, you have some intuitive idea what a continuous function should look like. Drawing the graph of a polynomial and seeing that the graph of it “never breaks”, then intuitively you can see that it’s continuous. Regina showed that for some x, the function f(x) = x^2 – 2 was greater than 0, and for some other x it was less than 0. Remembering that f is continuous, this must mean that f has to pass through the x-axis, meaning there is a solution to the equation x^2 -2 = 0, which is what we were trying to prove.
You can do this for any real number c. Just write f(x) = x^2 – c. It’s easy to see that it’s possible to take x large enough so that x^2 > c. This implies x^2 – c > 0. And if you take x = 0, f(0) = 0^2 – c = -c < 0. So f must have a root and thus there exists a solution to our equation.

Thanks very much! I forgot about IVT. What are you doing up so late/early? Working on your problem set?

Nah, I just woke up. Went to bed early last night.

By the way, Regina never said that the square root of 2 is not rational, but we cannot say it is irrational because we haven’t proved it exists. She essentially said that under the assumption that it exists, it is irrational.

Last edited:
The existence of square roots is a basic property of the real numbers. One defines the real numbers by giving them some properties and then showing a unique system has those properties.
common examples
1)cuts
2)sequnces
3)nested intervals
4)least upper bound

if we know the reals have a least upper bound property for example sup S exist for any subset so we set sqrt(a)=sup {x rational| x^2-a<0}

The idea is the rationals have holes, and it would be good to hav a system that fills in all those holes. The reals are such a system.

Last edited:

1. What is a real square root?

A real square root is a number that, when multiplied by itself, results in the original number. For example, the real square root of 9 is 3, because 3 x 3 = 9.

2. How do you know that all positive numbers have a real square root?

This is a mathematical fact that has been proven by various methods, including the use of algebra and geometry. One of the most well-known proofs is the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

3. Is there a formula for finding the square root of a positive number?

Yes, there are several methods for finding the square root of a positive number, including using the quadratic formula or using a calculator. However, these methods require knowledge of algebra and may not be applicable to all numbers.

4. Can all positive numbers have more than one real square root?

No, each positive number has only one real square root. However, there are also imaginary square roots, which are not real numbers, and some numbers have both real and imaginary square roots.

5. Can negative numbers have real square roots?

Yes, negative numbers can have real square roots, but they are considered imaginary numbers. For example, the square root of -9 is 3i, where i is the imaginary unit. However, for this question, we are specifically discussing positive numbers, which do not have imaginary square roots.