Can Magnets Repel Water Mist on a Steel Plate?

In summary, the conversation is about someone conducting an experiment to find a way to repel water mist from a steel plate. They have considered using magnets and other methods such as polarizing the water or using electrostatics. Someone suggests using stainless steel to solve the problem, but the original poster is more interested in exploring different methods. Another suggestion is to heat the plate to a high temperature, which may cause the water to spatter away.
bergsj
Magnets repell water? Help!

Hello everyone,

I am conducting an experiment. I am trying to figure out how to repell water mist from a steel plate. For example, if I take a water misting bottle and spray a steel plate with it, I want the steel plate to repell the water mist.

I have heard it said that somehow magnets can repell water and I've read a little about diamagnetism, but it doesn't seem powerful enough to do this.

Any suggestions? What if I did something to the water such as polarizing it, etc??

Any help in this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org

Why don't you share some more details about your setup. There may be all sorts of ways of doing this. For example: a layer of moving air might divert your mist.

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I am hoping to fasten a steel plate to a wall, spray the steel plate with water mist, and have the steel plate repel the water so no water comes in contact with the steel plate (without any help from blowing air).

Maybe this isn't even possible, I don't know. I had heard about the principles of diamagnetism and Magnetohydrodynamic drive and thought something like this could be used to repel water from metal. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jeff

Are you trying to make it so the steel won't rust? I suggest buying stainless steel and the problem is solved.

Hi there,

No, I don't care if the steel rusts - I'm just trying to see if it can be done...

Jeff

You could possibly do this electrostatically.
Car paint sprayers charge the paint with the opposite charge to the car body so that any point in the air is attracted to the metal (less paint is wasted), it's possible you might be able to charge the water sprayer nozzle and the plate to the same potential?

Heat the plate to 500 degrees Celsius. (Be careful of heat and chlorine!) The water will spatter away from the iron plate, as on a griddle, upon barely touching it.

What is the connection between magnets and water repellency?

The connection between magnets and water repellency lies in the fact that water molecules are made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, which creates a polar molecule. This means that water molecules have a positive and negative side, and when a magnet is placed near water, it can disrupt the hydrogen bonds in the water molecules. This disruption can cause the water molecules to repel each other, resulting in water repellency.

How do magnets affect the surface tension of water?

Magnets can affect the surface tension of water by creating a magnetic field that can change the orientation of water molecules. This change in orientation can weaken the hydrogen bonds between water molecules, reducing the surface tension of the water. This decrease in surface tension allows the water to spread out and become more easily repelled by other substances, including other water molecules.

Can magnets completely repel water?

No, magnets cannot completely repel water. While magnets can disrupt the hydrogen bonds in water molecules and weaken the surface tension of water, they cannot completely overcome the strong cohesive forces between water molecules. This means that while magnets can make water less likely to stick to surfaces, they cannot make it completely repel water.

Can magnets be used to prevent water damage?

Magnets can be used to prevent water damage in certain situations. For example, magnets can be used to create a barrier to prevent water from seeping into certain areas. They can also be used to repel water from surfaces, such as in waterproofing applications. However, magnets alone cannot completely prevent water damage and should be used in conjunction with other methods of protection.

Are there any risks associated with using magnets to repel water?

There are some potential risks associated with using magnets to repel water. For example, if the magnets are too strong, they may cause damage to certain materials or equipment. Additionally, if the magnets are not properly secured, they may pose a safety hazard if they come loose. It is important to carefully consider the strength and placement of magnets when using them to repel water.