For a Given a Probability of Success, How Many Successes in a Sample?

• Thread starter OsoMoore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, finding the number of successes in a sample size to achieve a certain probability can be solved using the inverse hypergeometric distribution. In the specific example given, the problem reduces to solving a polynomial equation, and the number of blue balls needed for an 85% chance of success is 43. However, using a standard cumulative hypergeometric distribution, it is calculated that 43 balls will give a 88.9% chance of success, indicating an error in the method. The problem can also be solved using a classic binomial distribution. The correct solution is a hypergeometric distribution problem, and for an 84.6% probability of success, the sample size must have at least 40 blue balls and 60
OsoMoore
Is there a general equation for an inverse hypergeometric distribution?

Greetings,

I'm making a statistical calculator for game analysis, and have an interesting problem.

Here is a specific example: I have a sack of 100 balls and are going to take 10 out of it randomly. I want to find 3 or more blue balls 85% of the time.

How many blue balls must I have in the sack to have this probability of success?
X = 100
Y = ?
K = 10
R = 85%
N = 3

In general terms:
To achieve at least N successes R percent of the time in a sample size of K, how many items Y in a set of X items must be successes?

I arrived at a general equation by my own calculations to find N given R, but it indicates I need about 43 blue balls get achieve my desired 85% chance.

However, using a standard cumulative hypergeometric distribution to find R given N, I calculate that using 43 balls will give me a 88.9% chance of success.

Consequently, I know my method is in error, and am hoping I can have some help in figuring a general equation for this problem. It would seem what I am seeking is an inverse hypergemoetric distribution.

The equations and work so far can be seen in the google docs spreadsheet I have created for them http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnPw5qvi2hRrdHoweklSQnBuVW9NbVFIUENpYmUyV3c&hl=en".
You can see my work on the Chance to Draw Stats and Probability tabs.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Having 40 blue balls gives you a 0.846ish chance of having 3 or more blue balls. In general the problem reduces to solving a polynomial equation. Do you know how to set up the equation?

Classic binomial distribution.

zli034 said:
Classic binomial distribution.

I was wrong. It's a hypergeometric distribution problem. I have calculated if you want 84.6% probability to get 3 or more blue balls from random picked 10 balls out of 100 balls, the 100 balls need to have at least 40 blue balls and also 60 other colored balls.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. Your question is an interesting one and involves the use of the inverse hypergeometric distribution. This distribution is used to calculate the probability of obtaining a certain number of successes in a sample, given a specific number of successes in the population. In your case, you are trying to find the number of blue balls (successes) in a population of 100 balls, in order to have a certain probability of obtaining 3 or more blue balls in a sample of 10 balls.

The general equation for the inverse hypergeometric distribution is:

Y = (K*N*R - N*K*X) / (R*X - K*R)

Where:
Y = number of successes in the population
K = sample size
N = desired number of successes in the sample
R = desired probability of success
X = population size

In your specific example, this would translate to:

Y = (10*3*0.85 - 3*10*100) / (0.85*100 - 10*0.85)
Y = (25.5 - 300) / (85 - 8.5)
Y = -274.5 / 76.5
Y = -3.59

This result is not a valid answer, as it implies a negative number of successes in the population. This could mean that your desired probability and sample size are not feasible with the given population size. Alternatively, it could also mean that there is an error in your calculation method.

I would suggest checking your calculations and making sure they are correct. If you continue to get a negative result, it may be helpful to consult with a statistician or seek further guidance on the specific problem you are trying to solve.

I hope this helps and good luck with your statistical calculator for game analysis. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

1. What does "For a Given Probability of Success" mean?

The phrase "For a Given Probability of Success" refers to a specific probability or chance of an event or outcome occurring. In other words, it is the likelihood of a particular result happening.

2. What does "Successes in a Sample" mean?

"Successes in a Sample" refers to the number of times a desired outcome or event occurs in a sample or group of observations. This can also be referred to as the number of "positive" outcomes in a sample.

3. How is the probability of success determined?

The probability of success is determined by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can also be expressed as a decimal, percentage, or fraction.

4. Can the number of successes in a sample be greater than the probability of success?

Yes, the number of successes in a sample can be greater than the probability of success. This is because the probability of success is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, while the number of successes in a sample is a count of the actual occurrences.

5. How is this concept used in scientific research?

This concept is often used in scientific research to analyze and interpret data. It can help determine the significance of results and draw conclusions about the relationship between variables. It is also used to make predictions and inform decision making in various fields such as medicine, psychology, and economics.