Creating a Quadratic Equation with Inverted Roots

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding a quadratic equation with roots that are the reciprocals of each other. The participants consider using variables and equations to solve the problem and discuss the relationships between the roots and the constant k. They also address a bug in the preview feature for tex.
Maatttt0

Homework Statement

The quadratic equation [tex]x^2 + kx + 2k = 0[/tex] where k is a non-zero constant, has roots [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex].

Find a quadratic equation with roots [tex]\frac{\alpha}{\beta}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\beta}{\alpha}[/tex]. {one is meant to be inverted - the code isn't working properly :( }

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A question like this, I would normal attempt by using 'u' as a variable and get [tex]\alpha[/tex] on it's own, e.g:
[tex]\alpha + 1 = u[/tex]
[tex]\alpha = u - 1[/tex]

I would then subst. the u - 1 part into the equation and get the answer. I'm unsure where to go as alpha and beta are in a fraction together - help please :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maatttt0 said:
Find a quadratic equation with roots [tex]\frac{\alpha}{\beta}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\alpha}{\beta}[/tex].

Just a question -- are those both intended to be the same or is one of them supposed to be inverted?

LCKurtz said:
Just a question -- are those both intended to be the same or is one of them supposed to be inverted?

Ahh thank you - meant to be inverted, I'll edit it now :)

I would have started by writing down the equation of the quadratic with those roots, and only then worry about trying to rewrite everything in terms of k.

What relationships do you know exist between alpha, beta, and k?

Do you mean;

[tex](x - \alpha)(x - \beta)[/tex]

[tex]x2 - \alpha x - \beta x + \alpha\bet = 0[/tex]

Therefore [tex]\alpha\beta = 2k...?[/tex] :S

Maatttt0 said:
Do you mean;

[tex](x - \alpha)(x - \beta)[/tex]

[tex]x2 - \alpha x - \beta x + \alpha\bet = 0[/tex]

Therefore [tex]\alpha\beta = 2k...?[/tex] :S

Don't use the sup in combination with tex tags. I think the equation you are trying to write is

[tex]x^2 -(\alpha + \beta)x + \alpha\beta = x^2 + kx + 2k[/tex]

There is currently a bug in the "preview" feature for tex; the workaround is to hit the refresh F5 button on your browser after trying to preview.

Anyway, yes, that gives you a couple of equations to work with for α and β.

Note to Hurkyl: I have tried to get someone's attention about the preview bug in the HH forum and with a message to Greg. Do you know if anything is being looked at?

Yes it is - okay thank you, I shall give it ago :)

1. What is a quadratic equation with alpha and beta?

A quadratic equation with alpha and beta is a mathematical expression that contains two variables, typically represented by the Greek letters α (alpha) and β (beta). These variables can represent any real numbers and are used to find the solutions to the equation.

2. How is a quadratic equation with alpha and beta different from a regular quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation with alpha and beta is similar to a regular quadratic equation in that it contains the variables x, y, and a power of 2. However, the use of alpha and beta as variables allows for more flexibility in solving the equation, as they can represent any real numbers rather than specific coefficients.

3. What is the significance of alpha and beta in a quadratic equation?

The variables alpha and beta in a quadratic equation represent the roots or solutions of the equation. These values can be found by solving the equation using various methods, such as factoring or the quadratic formula. The values of alpha and beta can also provide information about the shape and behavior of the quadratic curve.

4. How do you solve a quadratic equation with alpha and beta?

To solve a quadratic equation with alpha and beta, you can use various methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. The first step is to rearrange the equation into the standard form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are coefficients. Then, you can substitute alpha and beta for x and solve for their values.

5. Can a quadratic equation with alpha and beta have complex solutions?

Yes, a quadratic equation with alpha and beta can have complex solutions. This means that the values of alpha and beta may include imaginary numbers, such as √-1. Complex solutions occur when the discriminant (b^2-4ac) of the quadratic equation is negative, indicating that the solutions are not real numbers.