Find flux of CO2: convert (μmolCO2 (mol air)^-1) to (mgC)(m^-2 of ground hr^–1)

In summary: The problem you're having is that you need to convert from the units you measured into the units you're looking for.In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment to measure the difference in photosynthesis between different areas of grass. The data logger recorded CO2 concentration every second for 4-5 minutes and the slope of the trendline was used to calculate the rate of change of CO2 concentration with time. However, there is missing data on the volume of the chambers, making it difficult to calculate the flux. The goal is to convert the data into flux per area over time in the units of (mgC)(m^-2 of ground hr^–1).
mroldboy

Homework Statement

I am doing an experiment to find the difference in photosynthesis between different areas of grass.

I have and am taking more measurements. But essentially I need to convert the data I have into a flux per area over time.

the data logger records the data of CO2 concentration in (μmolCO2 (mol air)-1). I had it set to do so every second and recorded data fro 4-5 minutes.

I have the slope of the trendline, but I am unsure what that slope is.

Is the slope (μmolCO2 (mol air)-1) per second since its rise/run?

Homework Equations

equations of the data I have

closed chamber: y = 2.3778x + 588.26

clear chamber: y = -0.3184x + 399.19

The Attempt at a Solution

basically I want to find how much CO2 was used. so if I have X amount of CO2 being emitted from the ground that is my background noise. I did that with a closed chamber so no light got in and therefor no photosynthesis occurred. Then measured the same grass with a clear chamber and got a decrease. This decrease should be more since there was still background noise. So the grass was using at least as much CO2 as was emitted from the ground plus some more.

I can't actually do the calculations since I am missing an important piece of data in the volume of the chambers. which were different sizes as well.

I want my flux in (mgC)(m^-2 of ground hr^–1)

Can anyone give me a basic walkthrough of how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
mroldboy said:
I have the slope of the trendline, but I am unsure what that slope is.

Is the slope (μmolCO2 (mol air)-1) per second since its rise/run?

Yeah. The slope of the graph is the rate of change of CO2 concentration with time. Therefore, it has dimensions of [concentration]/[time] in the units you happen to be using for those two quantities (which you indicated).

1. How do you calculate flux of CO2?

To calculate the flux of CO2, you need to convert the units from μmolCO2 (mol air)^-1 to mgC(m^-2 of ground hr^–1). This can be done by using the conversion factor of 1 μmolCO2 (mol air)^-1 = 12.01 mgC.

2. Why is it important to find the flux of CO2?

Finding the flux of CO2 is important because it helps us understand the exchange of carbon between the atmosphere and the ground. This is crucial for studying the global carbon cycle and its impact on climate change.

3. How do you convert μmolCO2 (mol air)^-1 to mgC(m^-2 of ground hr^–1)?

To convert μmolCO2 (mol air)^-1 to mgC(m^-2 of ground hr^–1), you can use the conversion factor of 1 μmolCO2 (mol air)^-1 = 12.01 mgC. Simply multiply the given value by the conversion factor to get the equivalent value in mgC.

4. What does the unit mgC(m^-2 of ground hr^–1) represent?

The unit mgC(m^-2 of ground hr^–1) represents the flux of carbon in milligrams per square meter of ground per hour. This is a measure of the rate at which carbon is exchanged between the atmosphere and the ground.

5. Can the flux of CO2 vary over time?

Yes, the flux of CO2 can vary over time depending on various factors such as temperature, soil moisture, plant activity, and human activities. It is important to monitor and analyze these fluctuations to understand the patterns and drivers of carbon exchange.