Wave solution of nucleus alongwith that of electrons required

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of reduced mass in solving the Schrodinger equation for the Hydrogen atom and the possibility of obtaining wave functions for both the electron and nucleus. It is mentioned that including further corrections, such as relativistic effects and finite size of the nucleus, may be challenging. However, it is suggested that a simplified Hartree-Fock approach could be used to obtain a numerical solution. The use of a large basis set and suggestions for software and code are also mentioned.
akbmurugan
While solving the Schrodinger equation for Hydrogen atom, we use the reduced mass and get the wave functions of the electron. I like to get the wave functions of the nucleus as well as that of the electron. This may probably need to avoid using the reduced mass concept. Is this problem analytically solvable? If so, where can I find the solution? If it is not analytically solvable, where/how can I get the numerical solution? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first - realize that there's little point to this: Once you've taken into account the reduced-mass correction, the next correction (by order of size) would be taking into account relativistic effects, first the relativistic momentum of the electron, then spin-orbit coupling, the Darwin term, the Breit interaction, and finally vacuum fluctuations/QFT effects. Then the finite size of the nucleus comes into play! (at which point you're down at parts-per-million or so of the energy) So it's probably hard to find someone who's done this calculation, since with the Schrödinger equation, it's not going to give you any more accuracy.

But purely academically it might be fun to try to do.
I doubt there's an analytical solution. But if you just want the ground state, you could try a kind of simplified Hartree-Fock variational approach;

Ignore correlation and write your wave function as a product of nuclear and electronic functions. Write your hamiltonian (Tel + Tnuc + V) in polar coords. Using some set of basis functions, start with the ordinary hydrogen solution as a starting guess, use it to calculate the nuclear wave function, now minimize the electronic part and iterate until (hopefully) you reach self-consistency. (Although I don't feel convinced you would.. but I'm a bit too tired to think about it now. I may be wrong for some very obvious reason)

You'd probably need a large basis set since the effect is so small though. It's an idea anyhow.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have not numerically solved such problems. Can I get some suggestions on the software to use and some code for this purpose?

What is the wave solution of the nucleus?

The wave solution of the nucleus refers to the mathematical representation of the behavior and movements of the particles within the nucleus, such as protons and neutrons. This solution is based on quantum mechanics and describes the probability of finding these particles in a certain location.

How does the wave solution of the nucleus differ from that of electrons?

The wave solution of the nucleus is based on the behavior of particles within the nucleus, which have a much larger mass than electrons. This means that the equations and solutions used for the nucleus are different from those used for electrons, which have a much smaller mass and exhibit wave-like behavior in different ways.

Why is the wave solution of the nucleus important?

The wave solution of the nucleus is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of matter and the structure of atoms. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles within the nucleus, which is crucial in fields such as nuclear physics and chemistry.

What is the significance of the wave solution of the nucleus in nuclear energy?

The wave solution of the nucleus is essential in understanding the processes involved in nuclear energy, such as fission and fusion. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons, as it helps us predict and control the behavior of particles within the nucleus.

How is the wave solution of the nucleus experimentally verified?

The wave solution of the nucleus is verified through various experiments, such as scattering experiments, which involve shooting particles at the nucleus and observing their behavior. Other methods, such as nuclear magnetic resonance and electron microscopy, also provide evidence for the existence and behavior of particles within the nucleus.