Prove f'(x) = a(n) x^(n-1): Math Steps & Examples

In summary, the pre-calculus teacher is saying that f'(x) is equal to a e^(n ln(x))*(n/x) which is equal to a(x^n)(n/x) which is equal to a(nx^(m-1)).
tonyviet

f(x)= ax^2 = ae^TR, nez
Prove f '(x) = a(n) x^(n-1)2.
n does not equal 03.
I don't even understand it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't understand it either- go back and check the problem again!

In particular, "F(x)= ax^2 = ae^TR" makes no sense- it appears to be saying that F(x) is equal to two different functions. The only way I could make sense of it is if they are the same function: x^2= e^(ln(x^2))= e^(2 ln(x)). How is "TR" defined?

In any case "f'(x)= a(n)x^(n-1)" makes no sense because there was no mention of either "f" or "n" before. Assuming you mean "F" and "f" to be the same function (a very bad practice- capital letters and small letters are different symbols and should represent different variables) there still was n "n" in the original formulation.

Of course, it is true that if f(x)= ax^n, not x^2, then f'(x)= a(n x^(n-1)). That is normally proved by using induction on n or the binomial theorem, long before the derivatives of e^x and ln(x) are introduced. But if you do have those, then you could argue that f(x)= ax^n= a e^(n ln(x)) so that f'(x)= a e^(n ln(x))*(n/x)= a(x^n)(n/x)= a(nx^(m-1)).

f(x)= ax^2 = aeTR (Not sure if its exponential), neZ
prove f '(x) = a(n)x^(n-1)
n does not equal 0
sorry about the mistake

This was for a pre-calculus class but the teacher stated that it was in introductory calculus, so i assume that it is before the derivatives of e^x.

Btw do you know what type of problem this is so I can look it up in the book?

Last edited:

I am confused on how you got:
F' (x) = ae ^( n ln(x)) * (n/x) = a(x^n)(n/x) then to a(nx ^(n-1))

What is the definition of the derivative?

The derivative of a function is defined as the rate of change of the function at a specific point. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

What is the power rule for finding derivatives?

The power rule states that the derivative of a function raised to a power is equal to the power multiplied by the function raised to the power minus one. In other words, the derivative of f(x)^n is n*f(x)^(n-1).

Can you provide an example of proving f'(x) = a(n) x^(n-1)?

Sure, let's take the function f(x) = 3x^2. Using the power rule, we know that f'(x) = 2*3x^(2-1) = 6x. Therefore, we have proved that f'(x) = 6x, which is equal to a(2) x^(2-1).

What is the general formula for the power rule?

The general formula for the power rule is f'(x) = n*a(n) x^(n-1), where n is the power to which the function is raised and a(n) is the coefficient in front of the function.

Are there any exceptions to the power rule?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the power rule, such as when the function is a constant or when the function is raised to a negative power. In these cases, a different method must be used to find the derivative.