Accelerometer total not equal to 1

In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of the accelerometer output not being equal to 1 when in a static position, despite the theoretical total being 1 g. The individual has tried to determine the maximum value for each axis and divide all readings by that maximum, but the total is still not equal to 1. They ask if there is a way to make the totals the same for all positions in the 3d plane and inquire about the accuracy of their method. They also mention being new to forums and apologize for starting a new thread for each question.
mark2468
Hi.

The theoretical total of accelerometer output when in a static position is equal to 1 g. However I get a different result depending on where the device is positioned. Some is greated than 1, some is less.

What I have done is determine the max value for each axis and divide all readings of a particular axis by the max for that axis. e.g:

Zmax = 1.14 and so all Z values are divided by 1.14.

I have done this for all three axis but the total is still not equal to 1. If there was a slight offset I could live with this, but it is different for all static positions.

Is there a way of getting the totals being the same for all positions in the 3d plane?

Mark.

Physics news on Phys.org
The total shouldn't be one. It's the square root of the sum of the squares that should be 1. Assuming no other accelerations.

And why do you start a new thread for every question with your accelerometer? Can't you keep it all in one thread? I guarantee you'd get better answers that way.

sorry, am new to forums.

I meant the total being the square root of the sum of the squares. This is not equal to 1, and the difference is not the same at each reading. If it was I could easily remove it.

Is this common and is there a way to correct it.

1. What does it mean when the accelerometer total is not equal to 1?

When the accelerometer total is not equal to 1, it means that the measurements from the accelerometer do not add up to a total magnitude of 1. This can indicate that there is external force or movement affecting the accelerometer, or there may be errors in the measurements.

2. How does an accelerometer work?

An accelerometer is a device that measures acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity. It typically consists of a mass attached to a spring, and as the accelerometer moves, the mass compresses or stretches the spring, producing an electrical signal that can be measured.

3. What are some common applications of accelerometers?

Accelerometers are commonly used in devices such as smartphones, fitness trackers, and gaming controllers to measure motion and orientation. They are also used in vehicles for airbag deployment and stability control, and in aerospace for navigation and monitoring of spacecraft.

4. Can an accelerometer measure rotation?

No, an accelerometer can only measure linear acceleration, not rotation. In order to measure rotation, a gyroscope is needed. However, some advanced accelerometers may have built-in gyroscopes or other sensors to measure rotation as well.

5. How accurate are accelerometers?

The accuracy of an accelerometer depends on various factors such as its design, calibration, and external factors that may affect its measurements. Generally, accelerometers have a margin of error of around 1-5%, but this can vary depending on the specific application and environment.