What is the role of the i in the propagator of Feynman rules?

In summary, the expert explains that the propagator for internal lines in the Feynman rules for a scalar field is written as \frac{i}{k^2 - m^2 + i \epsilon}, and the factor i in the numerator comes from the path-integral formula for the generating functional. They also suggest chapter 10 of Srednicki as a good resource for understanding the Feynman rules, which may differ from the book the speaker is using.
NanakiXIII
I'm probably missing something small but I haven't been able to figure this out. In the Feynman rules (for a scalar field that obeys the Klein-Gordon equation), you write a propagator for internal lines as

[tex]
\frac{i}{k^2 - m^2 + i \epsilon}.
[/tex]

The propagator integrand is originally

[tex]
\frac{e^{i k (x-y)}}{k^2 - m^2 + i \epsilon}.
[/tex]

Since we're dealing with an internal line, both exponentials, in [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex], are integrated out to delta functions, leaving you with

[tex]
\frac{1}{k^2 - m^2 + i \epsilon}.
[/tex]

That I see, but where does the [itex]i[/itex] in the numerator of the first expression above come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
This factor i comes from the i in the path-integral formula for the generating functional for (connected Green's functions), [tex]W[J]=\ln Z[J][/tex] with

[tex]Z[J]=\int \mathcal{D} \phi \exp[\mathrm{i} \int_{\mathbb{R}^4} \mathrm{d}^4 x [\mathcal{L}(\phi,\partial \phi)+J \phi]].[/tex]

Ah, I think I got it. I had ignored the factor [itex]i[/itex] when I wrote things down as Wick contractions. Thanks.

Chapter 10 of Srednicki is a good way to see the Feynman rules emerge, including this factor of i.

He seems to adopt quite a different approach than the author of the book I'm using. I may have a look at that later. Thanks for the tip.

1. What is a propagator in Feynman rules?

A propagator in Feynman rules is a mathematical expression that represents the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point in space-time to another. It is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory and is used to calculate the interactions between particles.

2. How is a propagator calculated in Feynman rules?

A propagator is calculated using the Feynman path integral, which involves summing over all possible paths that a particle can take between two points in space-time. This integral takes into account the quantum uncertainty of the particle's position and momentum, resulting in a probabilistic description of the particle's behavior.

3. What does the propagator in Feynman rules represent?

The propagator represents the amplitude for a particle to travel from one point to another in space-time. It takes into account the interactions between the particle and the surrounding quantum field, and is used to calculate the probability of different outcomes in a quantum system.

4. What does a propagator look like in Feynman rules?

In Feynman rules, the propagator is represented by a line connecting two points in a Feynman diagram. The length and curvature of the line correspond to the probability amplitude of the particle traveling between those two points, as determined by the Feynman path integral.

5. How is the propagator used in practical applications?

The propagator is used in various calculations and predictions in particle physics, such as the scattering amplitudes of particles in high-energy collisions. It is also used in quantum field theory to analyze the behavior of particles and their interactions in different physical systems.