Analytically Solving a Differential Equation with Constants a, b, and c

In summary, jjacquelin's mistake in typing the equation caused the series development to become complicated and no closed form could be derived for the solution.
fatimajan
Hello every body,
would you please help me to solve this equation analytically?
actually I'm confused and I don't know what to do?
yy'-axy=bx^5-cx^3
where a,b,c are constants
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Find an integrating factor for the equation.

Let t=x². This leads to a linear ODE

Thank you for your guidanc, jjacquelin.
do you mean yy'-at^(1/2)y=bt^(5/2)-ct^(3/2) ?
well I see no difference between this and the initial form!
maybe I'm wrong?

Don't confuse y'(x) and y'(t) . They aren't equal :
y'(x) = y'(t)*2*t^(1/2)
So the transformed form is simpler than the initial :
2yy'-ay = bt²-ct
But, it isn't a linear ODE. I admit my mistake.

fatimajan said:
Hello every body,
would you please help me to solve this equation analytically?
actually I'm confused and I don't know what to do?
yy'-axy=bx^5-cx^3
where a,b,c are constants
thank you

Ok, it looks like the equation in t is just as difficult and you asked for an analytic solution. You could solve it via power series to achieve that goal although I think it's difficult to determine the radius of convergence of a Cauchy product that would enter into the power series solutions due to the yy' term.

I agree with jackmell's comments :
Ok, it looks like the equation in t is just as difficult and you asked for an analytic solution. You could solve it via power series to achieve that goal although I think it's difficult to determine the radius of convergence of a Cauchy product that would enter into the power series solutions due to the yy' term.
The series development leads to complicated formulas for the coefficients as functions of a, b and c (Attachment below).
It is doubtfull that a closed form can be derived in the general case. May be possible in particular cases, for particular values of a, b, c, or in case of particular relationship between these parameters. This would require specific studies if more information is available concerning the parametrers values or relationship beteween them.

Attachments

• EDO_DL.JPG
    EDO_DL.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 408
Thank you for your help, jackmell and jjacquelin

but dear jjacquelin,
actually I don't know about power series method well to solve the equation like you again, since I think you've made a mistake just in transformed form (yy' in lieu of 2yy') in your attachment, so I want to know this mistake makes what difference in your solution that I assumed is true?
and the last question, I have two boundary conditions:
y(0)=finit
y(-infinit)=finit

do you think they're enough to derive a closed form for our solution?

Thank you again

Hello,
I think you've made a mistake just in transformed form (yy' in lieu of 2yy') in your attachment
You are right, but it is just a typing mistake. I forgot the "2" in typing the equation, but I didn't forget the "2" in the calculs. So the series development is correct.
I have two boundary conditions:
y(0)=finit
y(-infinit)=finit
do you think they're enough to derive a closed form for our solution?
Since it is a first order ODE, only one boundary condition can be settled. If you set two conditions, generally a contradiction will occur.
The bondary condition y(0)=finit sets the yo value appearing in the formulas of the coefficients.
Moreover, a condition such y(-infinit)=finit isn't usable in case of limited series development. The series provides an approximate solution only for not too large values of abs(x), but not for x approaching -infinity or +infinity.
So, don't expect that the solution given in terms of a limited series will be satisfactory in case of large negative x values.

Note:
It seems that the ODE :
yy'-axy=bx^5-cx^3
associated with the boundary condition:
y(-infinit)=finit
has no solution. So, the ODE migth be not convenient to model the physical phenomena which gives y(-infinit)=finit
As a matter of fact, if y(-infinit) is finit, then y'(-infinity)=0
and cx^3 tends to be negigible compared to bx^5. So, the relationship tends to become equivalent to :
-axy=bx^5
With a finit value of y, this is impossible, because -axy isn't equivalent to bx^5, except if (a=0 and b=0), or if (y=0 and b=0).

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model a wide variety of physical phenomena in the natural and social sciences.

2. What are the types of differential equations?

The types of differential equations include ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and stochastic differential equations. Ordinary differential equations involve one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve more than one independent variable. Stochastic differential equations involve randomness and uncertainty in their solutions.

3. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, biology, and chemistry. They are used to describe the behavior of systems and phenomena, and to make predictions and solve problems in these fields.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using special functions such as the Laplace transform. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate the solution.

5. Can differential equations be solved analytically?

Some differential equations can be solved analytically, meaning that a closed-form solution can be found using mathematical methods. However, not all differential equations have analytical solutions, and in some cases, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution.