Net Electric Field at the center of a square

In summary, to find the net electric field at the center of the square, you can use vector addition and the formula E = k * (q1/r1^2 + q2/r2^2 + q3/r3^2 + q4/r4^2). To find the components of the electric field, you can use the formulas Ex = E * cosθ and Ey = E * sinθ, where θ is the angle between the electric field and the x-axis. This angle can be found using inverse tangent, θ = tan^-1(y/x). Remember to use the same value for r for both q2 and q4, as the square is symmetrical.
kemcco1955

Homework Statement

What net electric field do the particles of problem #1 produce at the square's center? Problem number one has a square with edge lengths of 24.00cm and charges of q1==8.0e-6C, q2=-8.0e-6C, q3=-8.0e-6, and q4=+8.0. He wants the answer for the electric field in component form(Etotal= N/C x + N/Cy. I do not know how to find electric field when using different components.

2. Homework Equations
Ecenter=kq/r^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I know that q1 and q3 cancel/ equal zero because they are both negative and on the diagonal from one another. The vector for q2 points away from the charge and the vector for q4 points toward the charge. I find E2 using (8.99e9)(-8e-6)/.1697^2. And for E4 I get the same but with an opposite sign. The r it got to be .1697 m by taking the sqrt of .24^2+.24^2 =.3394/2=.1697. The angel, I think is 45 degrees. I am having difficulty finding how to get the E total into components I know that you can take an answer and multiply it by cos45 and sin45(which are the same), but I don't know how to set up the vectors to solve...I hope that makes some since...I am very confused.

Physics news on Phys.org

To find the net electric field at the center of the square, you can use vector addition. The formula for the net electric field at a point due to multiple charges is:

E = k * (q1/r1^2 + q2/r2^2 + q3/r3^2 + q4/r4^2)

Where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1, q2, q3, q4 are the charges, and r1, r2, r3, r4 are the distances from each charge to the point where you want to find the electric field.

In this case, since q1 and q3 cancel out, you only need to consider q2 and q4. The distance from each of these charges to the center of the square is the same (since the square is symmetrical), so you can use the same value for r for both q2 and q4.

To find the components of the electric field, you can use the following formulas:

Ex = E * cosθ
Ey = E * sinθ

Where θ is the angle between the electric field and the x-axis.

To find the angle θ, you can use trigonometry. The angle between the electric field and the x-axis is the same as the angle between the vector from the charge to the center of the square and the x-axis. This angle can be found by using the inverse tangent function:

θ = tan^-1(y/x)

Where y is the vertical distance from the charge to the center of the square and x is the horizontal distance.

Once you have the angle θ, you can plug it into the above formulas to find the components of the electric field.

I hope this helps clarify how to find the components of the electric field in this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the formula for calculating the net electric field at the center of a square?

The formula for calculating the net electric field at the center of a square is: E = 2kQ/a^2, where E is the net electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of each side of the square, and a is the length of each side of the square.

2. How do the charges on each side of the square affect the net electric field at the center?

The charges on each side of the square directly affect the net electric field at the center. The net electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that the greater the charge on each side of the square, the stronger the net electric field will be at the center.

3. Can the net electric field at the center of a square be zero?

Yes, the net electric field at the center of a square can be zero if the charges on each side of the square are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This is because the electric fields produced by the charges cancel each other out at the center, resulting in a net electric field of zero.

4. How is the net electric field at the center of a square affected by the distance between the charges?

The net electric field at the center of a square is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the net electric field at the center decreases. Similarly, as the distance between the charges decreases, the net electric field at the center increases.

5. How does the shape of the square affect the net electric field at the center?

The shape of the square does not affect the net electric field at the center. As long as the charges are located at the corners of a square, the net electric field at the center will be the same regardless of the size or orientation of the square.