Parameters for Root Locus Method using Lead Compensator

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a lead compensator using the root locus method for a unity feedback control system with specific parameters for overshoot and settling time. The formula used to find the roots and the calculation for the angle of the desired pole are mentioned. However, the resulting system does not match the desired overshoot, and the reason is unclear.
hurliehoo
Hi everyone, I would please like some suggestions regarding where my error is, designing a lead compensator with the root locus method for a unity feedback control system where G = [12.5] / [2.5 1 2500]. I want to set the overshoot zeta = 0.5 for an overshoot of 16%, and settling time Ts = 0.06s.

Using these parameters I get a desired pole at -66.665 + j115.467.

I think I understand the application of the root-locus method, ie summing the angles of the poles and zeros with the new pole etc, and I've tried it with a couple of different values for compensator poles and zeros using these parameters (eg a = 66.665, b = 290.65). I always get the correct Ts, but an overshoot of 46% instead of 16%.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
how are you factoring in the overshoot into your calculation for the new poles?

swraman said:
how are you factoring in the overshoot into your calculation for the new poles?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Basically I'm using this formula to find roots at

roots_lead.jpg

and Ts = 4 / ( zeta * w(0) ) = 0.06

using w(0) = 133.33 because zeta = 0.5 for a 16% overshoot due to

M_lead.jpg

Then I calculate the angle to the desired pole at -66.665 + j115.467 from the first singularity at -0.2+j31.362 (original system) = -128.41

From the second singularity -0.2-j31.362 = -114.32

This gives a total of -242.73. It needs to adjust by +62.73 to get an odd multiple of 180. I then add for example a zero at -66.665 on the real axis, to add 90.

-242.73 + 90 = -152.73 so a pole of angle 27.27 will produce an odd multiple of 180. Putting a pole at -290.65 on the real axis does this.

... At least I think it should do ... the system doesn't give an overshoot anywhere near 16% though, and I can't understand why.

Last edited:

1. What is a lead compensator?

A lead compensator is a type of controller that is used in control systems to improve the stability and performance of a system. It is designed to introduce a phase lead in the system's transfer function, which can help to increase the system's stability margin and reduce the rise time.

2. How does a lead compensator affect the root locus plot?

A lead compensator adds a pole and a zero to the system's transfer function, which results in a shift in the root locus plot. The pole contributes to the phase lead, while the zero helps to cancel out some of the undesirable effects of the pole. This results in a more stable and controllable system.

3. What are the key parameters for designing a lead compensator using root locus method?

The key parameters for designing a lead compensator using root locus method are the location of the zero and pole, and the gain of the compensator. The zero is usually placed to the left of the pole to provide a phase lead, and the gain is adjusted to achieve the desired stability and performance of the system.

4. How do you determine the location of the lead compensator's zero and pole?

The location of the lead compensator's zero and pole can be determined by analyzing the system's transfer function and identifying the dominant poles and zeros. The zero is usually placed to the left of the dominant poles, while the pole is often placed closer to the origin to provide a larger phase lead.

5. Can a lead compensator be used to improve the transient response of a system?

Yes, a lead compensator can be used to improve the transient response of a system by reducing the rise time and overshoot. By adding a phase lead to the system's transfer function, the lead compensator can increase the system's responsiveness and improve its overall performance.