Motion tracking webcam software?

In summary: Ultrasound would be pretty nice, and for a proof of concept could be done with a cheap webcam, but again, I'm not sure if it's practical for anything more than that.
Ackmey
Heya

Not motion detection - I need something that can track a specific object; ideally locate where on the screen it's situated, and even more ideally, be able to tilt and pan without losing track of the object.

This is for a ballistics project, I'm planning on using two webcams in tandem to triangulate a distance... will this be terribly inefficient, and are there other options? Ultrasound would be nice but probably costly, so I'm not sure... I'm also thinking it may be possible to measure the distance of something like a bright red ball using its size; the bigger the closer.

Any help?

Also, scary number of subforums, wasn't too sure where to post... hope this isn't too far off. :P

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Okay, so I realized the reason I couldn't find any decent software was that I was searching for "webcam motion detectors" rather than trackers. I tested out a few things, lots of fun but they lose accuracy after only a few meters. It may have to do with the lightning conditions (dark in here) but regardless, I don't have a lot of hope for this - I want to get the longest range I possibly can. So, for now disregarding webcams, does anyone have any other ideas for motion tracking - just object detection, really; being able to just recognize a green ball in an area would be great.

For now, I'm going to go try and light the room up more, I'm kind of limited by the fact that I'm on this pc though.

Thanks for any help. :)

EDIT: I'm thinking just writing a simple program, arrow keys to control webcam, center on an object, center other webcam on an object, and there you go.

Also, I know I'm basically just talking to myself, but see I got somewhere! ^^

Last edited:
OpenCV is the place to start, it's a collection of libraries, mostly in C++, for recognising and tracking objects. Be warned though, for this kind of thing you're generally going to need a fairly powerful machine for anything other than a proof of concept. I've managed to get my netbook (1.66GHz with a Gig of RAM) to recognise hand gestures, and track movements through the webcam, but it's not practical for anything other than showing off a bit.

What is motion tracking webcam software?

Motion tracking webcam software is a type of computer program that uses a webcam to detect and track movement within its field of view. This software is commonly used for security purposes, gaming, and video conferencing.

How does motion tracking webcam software work?

Motion tracking webcam software uses algorithms to analyze the video feed from the webcam and identify any changes in movement. It then tracks these movements and can either record them or trigger a response, such as an alarm or a game action.

What are the benefits of using motion tracking webcam software?

There are several benefits to using motion tracking webcam software. It can enhance security by detecting and recording any suspicious movements, it can make gaming more immersive by allowing players to use their body movements as input, and it can improve video conferencing by automatically adjusting the camera to follow the speaker.

Are there any limitations to motion tracking webcam software?

While motion tracking webcam software can be a useful tool, it does have some limitations. The accuracy of the tracking may be affected by lighting conditions, background clutter, and the speed of movement. Additionally, some software may require a specific type of webcam or may not be compatible with certain operating systems.

Is motion tracking webcam software a privacy concern?

As with any technology that uses cameras, there are potential privacy concerns with motion tracking webcam software. It is important to use this software ethically and responsibly, and to inform others if they are being monitored. Additionally, it is recommended to choose software that allows for privacy settings and to only use it for its intended purpose.