How Is Volume Affected by Pressure in an Ideal Gas?

In summary, to increase the pressure of a monatomic ideal gas from 110 kPa to 150 kPa, it must be compressed to a volume of .0660m 3.
MozAngeles

Homework Statement

A monatomic ideal gas is held in a thermally insulated container with a volume of 0.0900m 3. The pressure of the gas is 110 kPa, and its temperature is 347 K.
To what volume must the gas be compressed to increase its pressure to 150 kPa?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
[tex]\Delta[/tex]=Q-W
W=P[tex]\Delta[/tex]V

The Attempt at a Solution

P1*V1/P2
=(110*.09)/(150)
= .0660 this is wrong i don't know what I'm missing..

Physics news on Phys.org
MozAngeles said:

Homework Statement

A monatomic ideal gas is held in a thermally insulated container with a volume of 0.0900m 3. The pressure of the gas is 110 kPa, and its temperature is 347 K.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
[tex]\Delta[/tex]=Q-W
W=P[tex]\Delta[/tex]V

The Attempt at a Solution

P1*V1/P2
=(110*.09)/(150)
= .0660 this is wrong i don't know what I'm missing..
The key is the thermally insulated container. What kind of compression is this? What is the relationship between P and V in such a compression? (hint: it has something to do with [itex]\gamma[/itex])

AM

So it is a adiabatic compression right?
So would I use
PiVi[tex]\gamma[/tex]=PfVf[tex]\gamma[/tex]

MozAngeles said:
So it is a adiabatic compression right?
So would I use
PiVi[tex]\gamma[/tex]=PfVf[tex]\gamma[/tex]
If you mean:

[tex]P_iV_i^{\gamma} = P_fV_f^{\gamma}[/tex]

ie: [tex]PV^{\gamma} = K = constant[/tex]

then, yes

AM

and then for the second part of the question I am still stumped, I thought you could use
Vi/Ti=Vf/Tf

and this isn't right, probably because of the fact that it is adiabatic?
but the equation is PV[tex]\gamma[/tex]= constant
so that doesn't include temperature, and now I'm lost..

MozAngeles said:
and then for the second part of the question I am still stumped, I thought you could use
Vi/Ti=Vf/Tf

and this isn't right, probably because of the fact that it is adiabatic?
but the equation is PV[tex]\gamma[/tex]= constant
so that doesn't include temperature, and now I'm lost..
Vi/Ti=Vf/Tf is true only if P is constant. In an adiabatic change, P, V and T all change. The ideal gas law still applies. But in order to determine how T changes you have to know how P and V change.

If you substitute P = nRT/V into the adiabatic condition, it becomes:

[tex]TV^{(\gamma-1)} = PV^\gamma/nR = K/nR = \text{constant}[/tex]

That is what you have to use.

AM

thanks figured it out

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of particles that have no volume and do not interact with each other. This means that there are no attractive or repulsive forces between the particles, and they do not take up any space. In reality, no gas is truly ideal, but many gases behave close enough to the ideal gas law for it to be a useful model in many scientific applications.

2. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This equation helps scientists predict and understand the behavior of gases under different conditions.

3. How does temperature affect an ideal gas?

According to the ideal gas law, as temperature increases, the volume of an ideal gas will also increase, assuming all other variables remain constant. This is because as temperature increases, the particles in the gas gain more kinetic energy and move faster, causing them to collide with each other and the container walls with greater force, leading to an increase in volume.

4. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how energy is transferred between different forms and how it affects the properties of matter. Thermodynamics is essential in understanding the behavior of gases, as well as many other systems in nature.

5. What is the difference between an isothermal and adiabatic process for an ideal gas?

In an isothermal process, the temperature of an ideal gas remains constant, while its pressure and volume may change. This is typically achieved by keeping the gas in contact with a heat reservoir. In an adiabatic process, there is no heat transfer between the gas and its surroundings, and the gas's temperature, pressure, and volume all change. This can happen, for example, when the gas is compressed or expanded rapidly, and there is no time for heat to enter or leave the system.