Schematics Reading Q&A: 8284 Clock Signal Generator

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusing schematic for a circuit that uses the 8284 Clock Signal Generator IC. The diagram does not show a power connection to the Vcc pin, but it is actually connected through R1 and C1 to ground. The reset pin is also mentioned, which can be activated by closing and opening S1. It is noted that schematics often omit obvious connections, but this can cause confusion for those without background knowledge. A more accurate way of showing power connections is suggested.
nDever
Hey Guys,

I have built circuits based on schematics before but this diagram, as it stands, is confusing. The IC is the 8284 Clock Signal Generator and I know the chip has a Vcc pin but according to the diagram, power is not connected to the Vcc pin but directly to ground. In fact that pin is not even displayed. Don't ICs require power to function? I must reading this diagram incorrectly.

clock_circuit.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Often if diagrams were to show all the connections, the schematic becomes confusing because of all the connections so the obvious connections are omitted. That's the case in this one but that doesn't mean the pins not shown aren't connected.

In this diagram Vcc is not directed to ground but through R1 and C1 to ground. Pin 11 is the reset pin. To reset the chip, S1 is closed and then opened. C1 charges through R1 and when it reaches a preset voltage the chip resets.

hi nDever,

agree with skeptic2's comments, sometimes reading schematics takes a little background knowledge/experience and some things are assumed to be known by
other users. that 10k resistor from VCC to pin 11 RES holds the reset pin HI till the
reset switch is pushed and held, allowing the pin 11 to go to GND once the capacitor
has discharged

here's a more accurate way of showing power connections to your cct as they has also omitted the GND connection to the chip

Attachments

• clock_circuit.bmp
    30.9 KB · Views: 547

What is a 8284 clock signal generator?

A 8284 clock signal generator is an electronic component used in digital systems to generate a stable clock signal that synchronizes the timing of various system components.

How do I read schematics for a 8284 clock signal generator?

Reading schematics for a 8284 clock signal generator involves understanding the symbols and connections used to represent the different components and their functions. It also requires knowledge of electronics and circuitry.

What are the main components of a 8284 clock signal generator?

The main components of a 8284 clock signal generator include a crystal oscillator, a frequency divider, and output buffers. These components work together to generate and distribute a stable clock signal throughout the system.

What are the common uses of a 8284 clock signal generator?

A 8284 clock signal generator is commonly used in microprocessors, microcontrollers, and other digital systems where precise timing is crucial. It ensures that all the components of the system are synchronized and operating at the correct speed.

How do I troubleshoot issues with a 8284 clock signal generator?

If you are experiencing problems with your 8284 clock signal generator, it is important to check the connections and ensure that all the components are functioning properly. You may also need to consult the manufacturer's documentation and seek the help of a professional if necessary.