What's so great about A Space Odyssey ?

• Thread starter Hobold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: not much else. I found the visuals and sound impressive for its time, but the lack of explanations and the lack of a plot really took away from the experience for me. I also didn't care for the protagonist, Hal.
Hobold
What's so great about "A Space Odyssey"?

Ok, here we go (may contain spoilers)...

I'm quite a fan of scientific fiction. I watched 2001 a few years ago when I was still young and wasn't really a great thinker: I hated it. A few days ago, I watched it again because all the hype and "the best movie ever" people kept telling me and I kept reading in reviews over and over. Yeah, ok, I re-watched it and it sucked even more than the first time. Then I thought: yeah, ok, maybe I'm just too dumb to get it... I should probably get to the next part. And I did, I just finished reading 2010 and I found nothing exceptionally good in it, in fact, I found it quite boring.

About 2001: yeah, effects are pretty cool, the exhibitionism is also fantastic, graphics are very immersive and stuff. But where is the plot? People go to Jupiter, people die, the astronaut "allucinates", people die, the supercomputer gets crazy, the monolit is really powerful, yeah, yeah, yeah, where is the plot? Where is the explanation? Where's the cause? What can I take from the movie? Is it all because of the special effects?

So went to the next book waiting for some plausible explanations and possibly a plot. People get in a new vehicle and try to salve the old ship from 2001. The travel is pretty boring, they find a new monolit, it's pretty amazing, they find the ship, they run into usual orbital mechanics problems, the chinese astronaut says they have found ET life (how does this matter, anyway?), they reprogram the old crazy supercomputer, they simply TURN BACK and the monolit fuses Jupiter into a new star.

Seriously? Explanations, anyone? From what I have read so far, there are simply no explanations to what happened, there is no thrilling story, there is absolutely nothing that keeps you reading, there is absolutely nothing I can take from what I have read. There is no plot (Clarke sure has some good insights, but from what I've seen, he is incapable of using them).

If it's supposed to continue in the next book, he should've put it into a single book, because it's pretty stupid to have a full book without a proper ending.

What have you found attractive in this series that I can't find?

Physics news on Phys.org

No argument from me. I didn't like 2001 either.

Sans the Von Danikeneque nonsense, I loved it, and I still do. So nyah!

D H said:
Sans the Von Danikeneque nonsense, I loved it, and I still do. So nyah!
I liked Hal. The monkeys had good rythm.

Likes CalcNerd

It was the 60s, nothing made sense !

It was the first SF movie that went beyond monsters in rubber suits and had impressive visuals and sound for the time. But like tolkein it has suffered from over-analysing

Hobold, if you think the astronaut hallucinates, then I would guess that you didn't understand most of it. As for the "Von Danikeneque nonsense", like it or not, it was at the heart of the film. :biggrin: 2001 wouldn't be 2001 without it.

Physicist Freeman Dyson urged those baffled by the film to read Clarke's novel:

"After seeing Space Odyssey, I read Arthur Clarke's book. I found the book gripping and intellectually satisfying, full of the tension and clarity which the movie lacks. All the parts of the movie that are vague and unintelligible, especially the beginning and the end, become clear and convincing in the book. So I recommend to my middle-aged friends who find the movie bewildering that they should read the book; their teenage kids don't need to."[2]

Clarke himself used to recommend reading the book, saying "I always used to tell people, 'Read the book, see the film, and repeat the dose as often as necessary', although, as his biographer Neil McAleer points out, he was promoting sales of his book at the time.[2] Elsewhere he said, "You will find my interpretation in the novel; it is not necessarily Kubrick's. Nor is his necessarily the 'right' one – whatever that means."[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretations_of_2001:_A_Space_Odyssey

Last edited:

Yeah, at first I really thought he was hallucinating when I watched the movie, but 2010 book makes sure everyone gets that's not what happened.

Hobold said:
Yeah, at first I really thought he was hallucinating when I watched the movie, but 2010 book makes sure everyone gets that's not what happened.

I must confess that I never read 2001. I read 2010 and 2061, but only watched 2001, so I can't speak to the book specifically. What I have read suggests that Clarke esp likes to write mysteries that challenge the reader to figure it out. In this case, the first thing to understand is the function of the monolith.

If you take a look at the wiki page I linked, you can find analyses and links.

The apes were awesome.

Hobold said:

Did you read 2001?

I agree with Dyson, and I've been saying it as well. Read 2001. It's a fine story, there is no mumbo-jumbo mysteries of the monolith like in the movie. 2001 book makes you think about how rare highly intelligent life in the universe could be. It explains what the monolith is for. It's a cool idea.

2010 is a sequel. The movie sucks except the part where Arthur C. Clarke was sitting on a bench in Washington DC. The book is a pretty good sequel if you've liked 2001.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll give it a last shot to 2001 book. Another question: if I eventually like the book, is it worth reading 2061 and 3001?

Hobold said:
is it worth reading 2061 and 3001?
2061 is less philosophical - more like Tom Clancy in space, I rather lost the thread by 3001

Rendevous with Rama is a better Clarke novel in a similar theme

I read the book and loved it. In fact, I think I'll reread it sometime soon. But the movie wasn't amazing. It was certainly groundbreaking for its time, but it is very dull at times. I haven't read any of the sequels though.

Ivan Seeking said:
I must confess that I never read 2001. I read 2010 and 2061, but only watched 2001, so I can't speak to the book specifically. What I have read suggests that Clarke esp likes to write mysteries that challenge the reader to figure it out. In this case, the first thing to understand is the function of the monolith.

If you take a look at the wiki page I linked, you can find analyses and links.

I read 2001, the short story which inspired it, the book on the writing of 2001, and the book on the making of the movie before I ever saw the movie. My first chance to see the film was when it was broadcast on TV. A group of us watched it on the dorm hall TV. Afterward, I had to explain what it was all about to just about everyone else.

I loved 2001 when I first saw it - way back then. I thought it was very philosophical.

2010 however, was a real let down, I thought. Kind of like "we must have a sequel to make more money out of this (nothing wrong with wanting to make more money, mind, but it was bereft of any deep meaning).

I didn't even know there was a 2061 and a 3001. Are they movies or just books, and they couldn't have been written by ACC, could they ?

I too read the book about the making of 2001, about 35 years ago, and this is what I remember from it. It seems it was based on an Isaac Asimov short story "The Sentinel" about finding a crystal on the moon that alerted ETs that humans had achieved space flight. The movie implied that the ETs had taught the apes how to use weapons. (The book mentioned that 2001 came out the same year as Planet of the Apes but Planet of the Apes got the best costume Oscar for its apes.)

The problem with 2001 came about because they started filming before they had decided on an ending. They had decided they didn't want to show ETs as any kind of deformed human and eventually decided that they had evolved beyond bodies and existed only as spirits, thus the reason no aliens are ever shown. The astronaut is taken to their planet and is aged and reborn. His ultimate mission became to care for and guide the earth. The movie utterly failed to convey these ideas to the audience.

Afterthought: Perhaps the movie's success is due to not explaining those ideas which admittedly are a little hokey.

Last edited:

The docking sequence. It should have gotten an R rating just for that.

2001 is one of my favourite films, what it's about is left for the individual to decide, meanwhile enjoy the special effects (the Monolith being the first use of CGI in a film?), and the accompanying music (e.g. the Blue Danube sequence). It's more of an experience than a film with a beginning middle and end. It was the 60's, it was a "trip".

I would lie stating I understand the movie, nonetheless I like it. In a way it reminds me of a first Alien - you don't see the monster, but you know something hides in the dark.

I doubt books explanation is correct. That's what Clarke had on mind, but IMHO he is in a way simpleminded, 2*2=4 and when it doesn't there is a good reason for/logic behind that. Kubrick doesn't care how much is 2*2 - movie is not a multiplication table. Whatever conclusions you draw they are yours.

I think there are two factors here. One is that, yes, you should read the books, in order, or the movie will not make a lot of sense. The other has to do with appreciating something for the time it was done, and if you're below a certain age or if you've just waited till now to see the movie, the odds are you've been saturated by so many fast paced Hollywood 3-second per shot films created for the general attention deficit public that films like 2001, and 2010 will seem interminable to you.

The pacing of 2001 is not really that slow for a 1968 film, but it's exaggerated by the starkness of the shots. 2010 was shot in the 80s when the movie viewing publics attention span was already starting to shrink, but the pacing is similar to 2001. The films fall somewhat into the genre of "hard" sci-fi and are somewhat more "scientific" and "realistic" in the sense that you don't have people zipping around with warp drives and teleporting and so forth, but having to deal with the clunky, awkward and inconvenient realities of space travel and micro gravity situations.

If you don't find the concepts in the books (especially the first) fascinating then I am not sure what the problem is. Arthur C. Clarke touches on some pretty mind blowing ideas - again, maybe more mind blowing for the time they were written. If you've grown up reading or watching modern sci-fi then you might not find it all that new. It is for this reason I can't really read anything by Asimov, as much as I love sci-fi. Since I grew up with more modern fare there wouldn't be anything "new" for me in older sci fi, though it's likely the modern stuff I read was influenced by him.

-DaveKA

Its a nice series, but it does tend to be a little over rated. Sort of like 'The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy'.

Meh, I'm sure reading 2001 would be a waste of time. I didn't read 1 thru 2000, so I wouldn't be able to follow it.

Likes CalcNerd

Hobold said:

It's very difficult to justify art. We all have different tastes. Our receptiveness to art also depends on our state of mind at the time of observing, and tastes may change as you age as well.

I saw the movie 2001 while in college in the 1980s. It was playing at the campus small theater for the students. I was blown away by the movie, but did not understand it at all. It just affected me, as good art should do. I can't explain why.

I then read the book, which then made the story understandable. I think it's a good story. It's actually a very simple story and plot, but many great stories are very simple once you analyze them.

But, if you don't like the story and the scope of the movie doesn't reach you as a work of art, then no one can fault you. Many far greater works of art are also not appreciated by all people.

Last edited:

lisab said:
Meh, I'm sure reading 2001 would be a waste of time. I didn't read 1 thru 2000, so I wouldn't be able to follow it.
:tongue2:

skeptic2 said:
I too read the book about the making of 2001, about 35 years ago, and this is what I remember from it. It seems it was based on an Isaac Asimov short story "The Sentinel" about finding a crystal on the moon that alerted ETs that humans had achieved space flight.

The Sentinel was indeed the basis of 2001, however, the story was written by Clarke. Kubrick, after going through Clarke's earlier works decided that this idea was the one best suited to making a film about.

dkotschessaa said:
I think there are two factors here. One is that, yes, you should read the books, in order, or the movie will not make a lot of sense.

I'm not so sure about that... the movie and the book were sort of written simultaneously and mostly as a collaborative effort. I have indeed read the book but only after I watched the movie. While I appreciated both mediums, I don't really think that the novelization of the story helped me to grasp the ideas in a better way, but the different perspective is certainly refreshing. Clarke is also a great writer so that definitely helped me to enjoy it.

dimensional said:
I'm not so sure about that... the movie and the book were sort of written simultaneously and mostly as a collaborative effort.

That may be so, but for me it doesn't really change the fact that the movie makes no sense if you haven't read the book.

-DaveKA

Borek said:
I would lie stating I understand the movie, nonetheless I like it. In a way it reminds me of a first Alien - you don't see the monster, but you know something hides in the dark.

I doubt books explanation is correct. That's what Clarke had on mind, but IMHO he is in a way simpleminded, 2*2=4 and when it doesn't there is a good reason for/logic behind that. Kubrick doesn't care how much is 2*2 - movie is not a multiplication table. Whatever conclusions you draw they are yours.

The whole idea was that the book and movie were to be different interpretations of the same basic story.

That being said, A couple of years ago, My daughter took a history of film class. I was leafing through her test for the class and came across the section on 2001. The author was discussing the scene where the early primate tosses the bone with which he killed his rival into the air, and it cuts to a spacecraft in orbit.

He interpreted this as a transformation from savagery and brutality to civilization and cooperation symbolized by space exploration. In this he completely missed the point. The spacecraft shown was one of a number of orbital nuclear weapon platforms. It was a cut from one weapon to another.

Likes CalcNerd

Janus said:
The whole idea was that the book and movie were to be different interpretations of the same basic story.

That being said, A couple of years ago, My daughter took a history of film class. I was leafing through her test for the class and came across the section on 2001. The author was discussing the scene where the early primate tosses the bone with which he killed his rival into the air, and it cuts to a spacecraft in orbit.

He interpreted this as a transformation from savagery and brutality to civilization and cooperation symbolized by space exploration. In this he completely missed the point. The spacecraft shown was one of a number of orbital nuclear weapon platforms. It was a cut from one weapon to another.

Hmmm, I took it to be the first use of a tool. The cutaway to space exploration made sense in that context.

The idea that the first tool was a weapon, was no surprise. I didn't realize that the orbiting platform was a weapons station, but that would still work.

Last edited:

lisab said:
Already jockeying for the PF humor award, basil?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2008/05/08/whence-nasa/

Somewhat related, even though it was written in 2008 it was just as relavent then as it is now unfortunately.EDIT: I'll also throw this in about the movie. What's so great about it? Back when it was made it presented us with an ambitious but doable future where we followed up on the success of Project Apollo with an expanding and thriving permanant settlement on the moon and an exploration program for the outer planets. In reality none of that happened, and future generations are going to look back at this as our lost opportunity to ensure we get first dibs on the vast resources of this star system, in other words a collosal mistake.

Last edited:

2001 is my single favourite film of all that I have seen (and I've seen thousands ...I'm a bit obsessed). I don't really know what to say in its defense to people who don't like it, since I can completely understand them (I'm not oblivious to the aspects of the film that usually put people off). However, for me, everything works. I love the basic concept of the monoliths, the open-ended story which gives much opportunity for personal interpretation, the beautiful framing of the shots (pause the film at random and it'll usually look like a picture worth framing), the spaceship waltz, etc.

Hobold said:
Ok, here we go (may contain spoilers)...

It was way ahead of its time. People just didn't make movies like that then, that told a story without words. The message about humanity going to a higher stage of evolution was timely, and it was trippy. There was a big CG Jung influence too, which was pretty hot stuff in the day.

Kubrick likes slow moving things. You can see it stately grandeur or as boring. In the first cut there was a ten-minute scene of an astronaut running on a centrifuge to show the boredom of travel in space. Arthur C. Clarke hated it. I always suspected that Arthur called up Stanley afterward and threatened him with death if he didn't cut that.

I like the movie but I don't think I will ever sit through it again. The books aren't all that impressive either. Try Childhood's End. That was the movie that Kubrick originally wanted to make but someone else owned it.

Star Wars I was also a very big deal when it came out. Lucas's innovation was realizing that lots of things in the future would look old and worn out, and maybe not even work very well. It seems pretty obvious now but no one had thought of it. Stuff in the future was always brand new.

So these films look dated because they've been imitated so much and improved upon.