Difference Between Weyl & Majorana Spinnors

In summary: Or if you like, Right moving particles are expressed as:\frac{\partial \psi_R}{\partial t}=-\frac{\partial \psi_R}{\partial x}which represent right moving particles for (ω/k = +1). Left moving particles are represented by:\frac{\partial \psi_L}{\partial t}=+\frac{\partial \psi_L}{\partial x}In summary, a Weyl spinor is an ordinary 4-component complex-valued spinor representing a spin-1/2 particle like an electron which has an anti-particle, while a Majorana spinor is a real-valued spin
zaybu
Can anyone explain to me what is the difference between a Weyl spinnor and a Majorana spinnor?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi zaybu! welcome to pf! :smile:

a Weyl spinor (one "n" :wink:) is an ordinary 4-component complex-valued spinor representing a spin-1/2 particle like an electron which has an anti-particle

a Majorana spinor is a real-valued spinor representing a spin-1/2 particle which is its own anti-particle

for details, see page 95 ff. (page 102 of the .pdf) of David Tong's "Quantum Field Theory" at http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/qft.pdf" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
aren't Weyl fields two comp spinors? with the Dirac and Majorana fields are four comp being built up from two Weyl fields

A Weyl spinor is one that is purely right or left handed.
A Majorana spinor is one that is its own antiparticle.

LAHLH said:
aren't Weyl fields two comp spinors? with the Dirac and Majorana fields are four comp being built up from two Weyl fields

Yes, a 4-component spinor is make up of two 2-component spinors.

zaybu said:
Can anyone explain to me what is the difference between a Weyl spinnor and a Majorana spinnor?

Thanks

Weyl Spinors are when you have right moving and left moving waves, but are not coupled equations. For instance:

[tex]i\dot{\psi_R}=-i \partial_x \psi_R+M \psi_L[/tex]

described right moving waves. Left movers are described as thus:

[tex]i \dot{\psi_L}=+i \partial_x \psi_L+M \psi_R[/tex]

a Majorana field is a coupled equation, which happens when you introduce a mass term into the Dirac Equation:

[tex]i\dot{\psi}=-i \alpha \partial_x \psi + M\beta[/tex]

Last edited:
Or if you like, Right moving particles are expressed as:

[tex]\frac{\partial \psi_R}{\partial t}=-\frac{\partial \psi_R}{\partial x}[/tex]

which represent right moving particles for (ω/k = +1).

Left moving particles are represented by:

[tex]\frac{\partial \psi_L}{\partial t}=+\frac{\partial \psi_L}{\partial x}[/tex]

I missed out an imaginary number in the coupled equation. I fixed this early this morning, I am surprised to see it still unfixed.

[tex]i\dot{\psi}=-i \alpha \partial_x \psi + M\beta[/tex]

1. What is the difference between Weyl and Majorana spinors?

The main difference between Weyl and Majorana spinors lies in their transformation properties under Lorentz transformations. Weyl spinors are left-handed and right-handed chiral spinors, while Majorana spinors are their own antiparticles and are thus invariant under charge conjugation.

2. How do Weyl and Majorana spinors differ in terms of their quantum numbers?

Weyl spinors have half-integer spin quantum numbers, while Majorana spinors have integer spin quantum numbers. This is because Weyl spinors describe massless particles such as neutrinos, while Majorana spinors describe massive particles.

3. Can Weyl and Majorana spinors be converted into each other?

Yes, Weyl and Majorana spinors can be converted into each other through a process called the charge conjugation. This transformation changes the sign of the electric charge, parity, and time reversal of the spinor, but leaves its Lorentz transformation properties unchanged.

4. What are some applications of Weyl and Majorana spinors in physics?

Weyl and Majorana spinors have been used in many areas of physics, such as in the Standard Model of particle physics, where Weyl spinors describe the left-handed and right-handed chiral fermions. Majorana spinors have also been proposed as a possible explanation for the origin of dark matter in the universe.

5. Are there any experimental differences between Weyl and Majorana spinors?

In most experiments, there are no observable differences between Weyl and Majorana spinors. However, there are some subtle differences in certain processes, such as in the scattering of neutrinos, which can be used to distinguish between the two types of spinors.