Question on binary stars & binary stars

In summary, The conversation is about a student facing trouble with a practice question involving notation and using Kepler's third law to derive a formula for binary stars orbiting around their common center of mass. The student is seeking clarification and assistance from the forum members.
mikky_t
Hi.
What a great forum, so many interesting things

I am facing a problem with the working out for my last question in my practice paper, for my mid-year examinations.

i don't know how to write the notation here, so i have just attatched a screenshot, i hope u don't mind.

i just have to derive it. The hint says, use Kepler's third Law and that it is a description of the orbits of binary stars around their common centre of mass.

Thank You.:smile:

Attachments

• practice_q16.bmp
    13.3 KB · Views: 548
Physics news on Phys.org
Wooooops!

Sorry about the name of the thread, I don't know where the extra, "& binary stars" came from.

Also, where is the picture? I uploaded it.

I just read Tom's post at the start so i will write up what I have. Its all on a piece of a paper:

mA = mass of star A
mB = mass of star B

Keplers third law,
r^3/T^2 = GM/4(pi^2)

Would it be sufficient to say that since in a binary system, they would robit according to Keplers third Law,

mA + mB = r^3/T^2...(1)

The text states formula (1) only, without any explanations.

Even from here if I try to prove that,

mA + mB = 4(pi^2)(r^3)/G(T^2)

It doesn't work out.

As you can probably see, i am a bit confused. Sorry about the messy-ness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

Glad to hear that you find this forum interesting! Binary stars are definitely a fascinating topic to learn about.

In regards to your question, it looks like you are being asked to derive Kepler's third law for binary stars. Kepler's third law states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit. In the case of binary stars, this law can be applied to the orbits of the two stars around their common center of mass.

To derive this law, you can start by writing out the equation for Kepler's third law: T^2 = k * a^3, where T is the orbital period, a is the semi-major axis, and k is a constant. In the case of binary stars, we can rewrite this equation as follows: (T1 + T2)^2 = k * (a1 + a2)^3, where T1 and T2 are the orbital periods of the two stars and a1 and a2 are their respective semi-major axes.

Next, we can use the fact that the total mass of the system, M, is equal to the sum of the masses of the two stars, m1 and m2. We can also use the definition of the center of mass, which states that the distance from the center of mass to each star is equal to the product of its mass and its distance from the center of mass. This can be written as: m1 * a1 = m2 * a2 = M * R, where R is the distance between the two stars.

Now, we can substitute this relationship into our equation and simplify to get: (T1 + T2)^2 = k * M^3 * R^3. Since M^3 * R^3 is a constant, we can rewrite this as: (T1 + T2)^2 = k' * M^3, where k' is a new constant. Finally, taking the square root of both sides, we get: T1 + T2 = k'' * M^(3/2), where k'' is another constant. This is the derived form of Kepler's third law for binary stars!

I hope this helps and good luck on your mid-year examinations! Remember to always check your units and use the correct notation when writing out equations. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification on any of the steps

1. What are binary stars?

Binary stars are a pair of stars that orbit around a common center of mass. They are often formed together from the same molecular cloud and are held together by their mutual gravitational attraction.

2. How do binary stars form?

Binary stars can form in several ways, but the most common is through fragmentation of a molecular cloud during the process of star formation. As the cloud collapses, it breaks into smaller clumps that eventually form into individual stars or binary systems.

3. What are the types of binary stars?

There are several types of binary stars, including visual binaries, spectroscopic binaries, and eclipsing binaries. Visual binaries are those that can be seen as two distinct stars with a telescope, while spectroscopic binaries can only be detected through changes in their spectral lines. Eclipsing binaries are those in which one star periodically passes in front of the other from our point of view, causing a decrease in brightness.

4. How do scientists study binary stars?

Scientists study binary stars through various methods, including spectroscopy, which allows them to analyze the chemical compositions and temperatures of the stars. They also use photometry to measure the brightness of the stars over time, and astrometry to track their movements and determine their orbits.

5. Why are binary stars important to study?

Binary stars provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of stars, as well as the dynamics of stellar systems. They also play a crucial role in determining the mass of stars and can help scientists understand the processes of stellar mergers and explosions. Additionally, binary stars are used as standard candles in distance measurements and can help astronomers study the effects of gravity on celestial objects.