Cancelling out units in an equation

In summary, Andrew has calculated the viscosity of a substance and needs to cancel out units to get to a final solution. He divides the viscosity by 1.034466 to get kilograms per second. Finally, he converts kilograms per second into Pascal.sec to get the final solution.
andrewvidler
Hi i have done all the work for this problem calculating viscosity and i come to the last part where i need to manipulate and cancel out units to come to a final solution. The equation works out as

viscosity = 0.0042m^2 x 9.8m/s/s x 11,401.4kg/m^3 all divided by 1.034466m/s

viscosity is measured in Pascals/sec

can someone help me with the last step with the units

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I usually start by drawing a long horizontal line and writing all the units in the denominator or numerator as appropriate. Thereby, dividing by a/b means writing b "above" and a "below" (as dividing by a/b means multiplying by b/a).

In this case, going through them one by one, you'd get

[tex]\frac{m^2}{1} \times \frac{m}{s \times s} \times \frac{kg}{m^3} \times \frac{s}{m}[/tex]
If you write this in a single fraction, and take the similar units together, you get
[tex]\frac{m^3 \, s \, kg}{s^2 \, m^4}[/tex]
which is straightforward to simplify.

Now to check that this is indeed Pa/s, it is easiest to convert Pascals into kg/m/s. Personally, I find it easiest to remember that pressure is force per unit area, and Newton's law is F = ma, so
[tex][Pa] = \frac{[F]}{[A]} = \frac{[m] [a]}{[A]} = \frac{kg \times m/s^2}{m^2} = \frac{kg \times m}{s^2 \times m^2}[/tex]

welcome to pf!

hi andrew! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
andrewvidler said:
viscosity is measured in Pascals/sec

nooo :redface: … viscosity is measured in Pascal.sec :wink:

thanks - my final units are 453 kg/sm. any chance on helping me how to get this into pascals which are measured in mPa s?

Pa.s = force.time/area = mass.time.acceleration/area

= mass.time.distance/time2.area :wink:

1. How do you cancel out units in an equation?

To cancel out units in an equation, you need to use conversion factors. These are ratios that relate different units to each other. By multiplying or dividing by the appropriate conversion factor, you can eliminate the units you don't want in the final answer.

2. Why is it important to cancel out units in an equation?

Cancelling out units ensures that the final answer is in the correct unit and makes the calculation more accurate. It also helps to check for any errors in the equation or units used.

3. Can you cancel out units in any type of equation?

No, you can only cancel out units in equations that involve multiplication or division. Units cannot be cancelled out in equations that involve addition or subtraction.

4. What happens if I don't cancel out units in an equation?

If you don't cancel out units in an equation, the final answer will not be in the correct unit and may be inaccurate. It is also important to have the correct units in scientific calculations to ensure the validity of the results.

5. Are there any exceptions to cancelling out units in an equation?

Yes, there are some cases where units cannot be cancelled out, such as in equations involving exponents or units that are raised to a power. In these cases, the units must be converted to the same exponent before they can be cancelled out.