Can Multilayer PCBs Create a "Shelf"?

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of creating a "shelf" in a 4 layer PCB stackup by having different width and length layers. The person asking the question was curious if this was a common practice and if it would be expensive. The reply suggested designing a cutout section instead and questioned the need for a "shelf."
zandroid
Can multilayer PCB have different width and/or length layers to create a "shelf"?

I am in need of creating a 4 layer PCB stackup, but I need to have one of the PCB different width and length to create a "shelf" so to speak. Has anyone heard of doing such a thing? My layout software doesn't give the ability to create different size layers of a multilayer stackup.

Thanks in advance for any expertise!
zandroid out

Engineering news on Phys.org

I have not (I have designed and ordered several PCBs in both a professional and hobbyist capability from a number of different vendors).

I'm not sure how hard it would be to get a manufacturer to do it, obviously if you've got enough cash someone will figure it out, but I would suspect it wouldn't be cheap!

Why do you need a "shelf" anyways?

can't you just design a cutout section ? put two or more boards onto one sheet?

1. Can multilayer PCBs create a "shelf" in the circuit?

Yes, multilayer PCBs can create a "shelf" in the circuit, also known as a step or a level. This is achieved by placing multiple layers of conductive material on top of each other, creating a step-like structure in the circuit.

2. What are the advantages of using a multilayer PCB over a single-layer PCB?

The main advantage of using a multilayer PCB is that it allows for a more compact and complex circuit design. This is because the multiple layers provide more space for routing traces and components, resulting in a smaller and more efficient circuit. Additionally, multilayer PCBs provide better signal integrity and have higher current-carrying capacity.

3. Are there any limitations to creating a "shelf" with multilayer PCBs?

Yes, there are some limitations to creating a "shelf" with multilayer PCBs. The size and thickness of the shelf may be limited by the size and thickness of the PCB itself. Additionally, the cost of manufacturing a multilayer PCB may be higher than a single-layer PCB.

4. Can a "shelf" be created on any layer of a multilayer PCB?

Yes, a "shelf" can be created on any layer of a multilayer PCB. However, it is important to consider the placement of the "shelf" in relation to other components and traces to ensure proper functionality of the circuit.

5. Do multilayer PCBs with "shelves" have any specific applications or uses?

Yes, multilayer PCBs with "shelves" have various applications and uses in different industries. They are commonly used in high-speed and high-frequency circuits, as well as in complex electronic devices such as smartphones, computers, and medical equipment.