Can you calculate water pressure with just flow rate and hose diameter?

In summary, it is possible to calculate the pressure of water leaving a hose given the rate of flow in gpm and the inside diameter of the hose in inches. However, additional information such as the velocity and area of the nozzle may be needed. Bernoulli's equation can be used to find the pressure, and it is assumed that the water pressure after leaving the hose is the same as atmospheric pressure.
rick326
Given only the rate of flow in gpm and the inside diameter of a hose in inches, is it possible to calculate the pressure of water leaving the hose?
I have no experience or training in this area but it seems to me that more information would be required. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
it's been a while, but i believe that Bernoulli's equation could help. Check that one out

Without getting into very advanced fluid dynamics, it is assumed that the water pressure, after the water has left the hose, is same as atmospheric pressure.

If you are referring to the pressure of the water against a surface (as the water splashes on a surface like your hand, after it leaves the hose) then the "pressure" would be the force of the water/cross-sectional-area of the water stream (assumed to be the area of the hose?) P=F/A

From the volume flow rate (gal/min) you can calculate the "mass-flow rate" (mass/sec), and assuming all the water is stopped, the mass flow rate times the change in velocity will produce the force.
Ft = m[delta]v , so F=(m/t) x [delta]v

So, yes, the pressure of this stream of water against a surface can be calculated from the information given.

Last edited:
I am trying to calculate the force exerted on a body during high pressure water blasting. The numbers are 36,000psi pump pressure, 5gpm flow rate. lbs of force back pressure is the number I'm looking for. HELP!

You need the velocity, then you use Bernoulli's equation to find the pressure. What is the area of the nozzle?

There are two nozzles. Both are 1/8" in diameter.

1. How is water pressure calculated?

Water pressure is calculated by dividing the force of the water by the area over which it is exerted. This can be expressed as P = F/A, where P is the pressure in pascals (Pa), F is the force in newtons (N), and A is the area in square meters (m^2).

2. What factors affect water pressure?

The main factors that affect water pressure include the height of the water source, the volume of water in the system, the size and condition of the pipes, and the force of gravity.

3. How does water pressure change with depth?

According to Pascal's principle, water pressure increases with depth. This is because the weight of the water above exerts a greater force on the water at lower depths, resulting in higher pressure.

4. How do I convert water pressure to different units?

The most common unit for measuring water pressure is pounds per square inch (psi). To convert psi to other units, you can use the conversion factor of 1 psi = 6,894.76 pascals (Pa) or 1 psi = 0.0689476 bar (b).

5. Can water pressure be too high?

Yes, water pressure can be too high and may cause damage to pipes, appliances, and fixtures. The ideal water pressure for a residential home is typically between 40-60 psi. If your water pressure is consistently above this range, you may need to install a pressure regulator to prevent damage.