Neper freq, Damping factor, ratio, coefficient confusion.

In summary, there is confusion surrounding the definitions of damping factor, damping coefficient, and damping ratio in relation to RLC circuits. Some sources describe the neper frequency as the damping factor or damping coefficient, while others describe the ratio of the neper frequency to the resonant radian frequency as the damping factor, damping coefficient, or damping ratio. Additionally, the term zeta is sometimes used to represent the damping factor, coefficient, or ratio, but its meaning can vary between the neper frequency over the corner frequency or the neper frequency over the resonant radian frequency. This discrepancy has caused confusion and a lack of agreement among sources. Further clarification is needed to fully understand these terms.
Loudhvx
Hi all, this is my first post.

I find a lot of conflicting definitions of damping factor, damping coefficient, and damping ratio on the internet, and in some textbooks, when related to RLC circuits.

Sometimes I see the neper frequency described as the damping factor or damping coefficient. However, I sometimes see the ratio of the neper frequency to the resonant radian frequency described as the damping factor, damping coefficient, or damping ratio. This would be a contradiction, correct?

Sometimes when I see the damping factor, coefficient, or ratio represented by zeta, then it's the neper frequency over the corner frequency for a bode plot, but occasionally I will see zeta as the neper frequency over the resonant radian frequency. I don't think the two are one in the same, are they?

I realize some of this is due to loose useage of definitions and terms, but because some of it is outright contradictory, I need some clarification.

Can anyone point me to a site or source that adresses these discrepancies specifically, or at least has a definitive description of the terms in question? I've been to dozens of websites (and checked a couple textbooks) and there seems to be no agreement on the terms.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is the Neper frequency?

The Neper frequency is a unit of measurement used to describe the rate at which an electrical signal attenuates or loses amplitude as it travels through a circuit. It is equivalent to one Neper per second (Np/s) and is often used in conjunction with the decibel (dB) unit.

2. What is the damping factor?

The damping factor is a measure of how effectively a system can dissipate energy. In the context of electrical circuits, it refers to the ratio of the resistive component to the reactive component of impedance. A higher damping factor indicates a more efficient energy dissipation and a more stable system.

3. What is the ratio in terms of Neper frequency and damping factor?

The ratio between the Neper frequency and damping factor is known as the Neper frequency ratio. It is calculated by dividing the Neper frequency (in Np/s) by the damping factor (unitless). This ratio is often used to describe the performance of filters and other electronic components.

4. What is the coefficient of confusion in relation to Neper frequency and damping factor?

The coefficient of confusion is a term used in signal processing to describe the level of uncertainty or ambiguity in a signal due to noise or other factors. It is not directly related to the Neper frequency or damping factor, but these parameters can affect the overall clarity of a signal and thus contribute to the coefficient of confusion.

5. How can I avoid confusion between Neper frequency and damping factor?

To avoid confusion, it is important to understand the definitions and units of measurement for the Neper frequency and damping factor. Additionally, it is helpful to have a clear understanding of the context in which these terms are being used, such as in relation to a specific circuit or system. Consulting reliable sources and seeking clarification when needed can also help prevent confusion.