Estimating force required in a hand operated plunger

• Thread starter skarthik94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force hand
In summary: Measuring-Tape-Fish-Scale-105271608.htmIn summary, the conversation discusses the idea of mechanizing the process of making String hoppers through the use of a linear actuator. The main concern is estimating the linear force required for the actuator. One suggestion is to find the average arm strength of a person and convert it to linear force. The person asking for ideas is not familiar with measuring forces and asks for suggestions on which measuring instrument to use. One suggestion is to use two force meters and sum the force from each handle.
skarthik94
Santhagai+Machine.png

In the image attached, you can see a hand operated plunger for making String hoppers. The handle is rotated and the screw descends and plunges into to canister containing the batter.

To mechanize this process, one can use a linear actuator, but the catch is estimating the linear force required.

Can anyone provide some ideas to this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
skarthik94 said:
To mechanize this process, one can use a linear actuator, but the catch is estimating the linear force required.

You can find an upper limit by finding a typical person's arm strength then converting that to torque and to linear force.

Are you not able to measure the force on the handles?

I majored in electronics, not mechanical engineering, so I am a novice to measuring forces.

Finding out average man's arm strength can be done.

How do I measure the force on the handles? Can you suggest which measuring instrument to use?

skarthik94 said:
I majored in electronics, not mechanical engineering, so I am a novice to measuring forces.

Finding out average man's arm strength can be done.

How do I measure the force on the handles? Can you suggest which measuring instrument to use?

You could use two force meters like this, and have one person pull each handle with one, then sum them.

http://www.chinatraderonline.com/scale/Fish-Scale/

1. What is the purpose of estimating the force required in a hand operated plunger?

The purpose of estimating the force required in a hand operated plunger is to determine how much force a person needs to apply in order to operate the plunger effectively and efficiently.

2. What factors affect the force required in a hand operated plunger?

The force required in a hand operated plunger can be affected by various factors such as the type and size of the plunger, the viscosity of the fluid being pushed, and the friction between the plunger and the surface it is being used on.

3. How can the force required in a hand operated plunger be estimated?

The force required in a hand operated plunger can be estimated by using mathematical equations that take into account the factors mentioned above. Alternatively, it can also be estimated by conducting experiments and measuring the force needed to operate the plunger.

4. Why is it important to accurately estimate the force required in a hand operated plunger?

Accurately estimating the force required in a hand operated plunger is important because it helps in determining the appropriate design and materials for the plunger, as well as ensuring that the plunger is easy and safe to use for the intended user.

5. Can the force required in a hand operated plunger be reduced?

Yes, the force required in a hand operated plunger can be reduced by using lubricants to decrease friction, using a plunger with a larger surface area, or redesigning the plunger to have a more ergonomic handle for better leverage.