Minkowski diagram - the angle between axes

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding the angle between the axes of two inertial frames and the use of Lorentz transformations to solve it. The speaker also mentions their confusion and lack of understanding of the rapidity function and how it relates to the transformation. They eventually solve the problem using standard Lorentz transformations and ask for clarification on the purpose of the transformation. The solution involves setting t' to 0 and solving for the slope of the line, ct/x.
3nTr0pY
I was reading through my textbook and it said that the angle between the axes of two inertial frames, one stationary and one moving at velocity v is supposed to be tan^-1(v/c). I assumed this would be easy to show, but after spending a couple of hours on this probably trivial problem, I can't for the life of me get the right answer.

I'm using the transformation:

ct' = ctcosh(a) -xsinh(a)
x' = -ctsinh(a) + xcosh(a)
y' = y
z' = z

where a is the 'rapidity function', tanh^-1(v/c) (not that I really understand what that is)

What I've done is choose a value of ct' and kept x' = 0 i.e. (0, ct'), because I'm supposed to be looking at the axes. I'm supposed to convert this into the other inertial frame, I think, but I'm really confused...

Anyone know the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I solved it using bog standard Lorentz transformations. As (annoyingly) easy as that.But I'm still really confused as to why I couldn't get the transformation I mentioned in my first post to work (the Lorentz boost). I don't really get how it works/what the point of it is, so any clarification on that would be helpful.

The x' axis is where t'=0. So set t'=0 and solve for the slope of this line, ct/x, and I think you'll get the answer you're looking for.

1. What is a Minkowski diagram?

A Minkowski diagram is a visual representation of the mathematical concept of space-time in special relativity. It shows the relationship between time and space in a two-dimensional graph.

2. How are the axes labeled in a Minkowski diagram?

The horizontal axis is labeled as the "x-axis" and represents space, while the vertical axis is labeled as the "ct-axis" and represents time. The "c" in "ct-axis" represents the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the angle between the axes in a Minkowski diagram?

The angle between the axes in a Minkowski diagram represents the relative velocity between two frames of reference. It is also known as the "rapidity" or "hyperbolic angle" and is used to calculate the Lorentz transformation between the two frames.

4. How is the angle between the axes calculated?

The angle between the axes can be calculated using the formula tanh(θ) = v/c, where v is the relative velocity between the two frames and c is the speed of light.

5. What does the slope of a line on a Minkowski diagram represent?

The slope of a line on a Minkowski diagram represents the velocity of an object in relation to the speed of light. A line with a slope of 1 represents an object moving at the speed of light, while a slope of less than 1 represents an object moving at a slower velocity.