How does Ricci curvature represent volume deficit ?

In summary, the Ricci curvature tensor represents the deviation of the volume of a ball from that in Euclidean space. It provides one way of measuring the degree to which the geometry determined by a given Riemannian metric might differ from that of ordinary Euclidean space.
AuraCrystal
How does Ricci curvature represent "volume deficit"?

Hi all,

I've been reading some general relativity in my spare time (using Hartle). I'm a bit confused about something. I understand that Riemann curvature is defined in terms of geodesic deviation; the equation of geodesic deviation is
[itex]\left ( \mathbf{\nabla}_{\mathbf{u}} \mathbf{\nabla}_{\mathbf{u}} \mathbf{\chi} \right )^{\alpha} = - R^{\alpha}_{\beta \gamma \delta} u^{\beta} \chi^{\gamma} u^{\delta} [/itex]
Where, of course, [itex]R^{\alpha}_{\beta \gamma \delta}[/itex] is the Riemann (curvature) tensor, [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}_{\mathbf{u}}[/itex] represents the covariant derivative w.r.t. the four-velocity [itex]\mathbf{u}[/itex] i.e. the unit tangent to the geodesic, [itex]dx/d\tau[/itex], and [itex]\chi[/itex] is the separation vector between two geodesics. This definition makes geometric sense: the Riemann tensor tells you how fast the separation vectors are changing. Of course, the Ricci tensor is defined as the contraction of the Riemann tensor: [itex]R_{\alpha \beta} \equiv R^{\gamma}_{\alpha \gamma \beta}[/itex],
where one sums over [itex]\gamma[/itex], of course.

However, I read somewhere that the Ricci tensor has a geometric meaning: in terms of deviation of the volume of a ball from that in normal, Euclidean space. I've never seen this and I've looked in Schutz's A First Course in General Relativity, Hartle, of course, Schaum's Outline of Tensor Calculus, and Lovelock and Rund's Tensors, Differential Forms, and Variational Principles and have found nothing about this geometric meaning in there. How do you get that geometric meaning?

I also read something about Christoffel symbols being "connections." What is the geometric meaning of this and how do I get it? (Sorry I didn't put this in the title; it wouldn't fit lol.)

As well, does anyone know a good book explaining these geometric meanings? (Either in a book on GR or on tensors/differential geometry? I was thinking of going through either Carrol or Wald after I finish Hartle and Lovelock/Rund.)

Physics news on Phys.org

Where did you hear that about the Ricci tensor (not denying I just want to read up on it too)? Anyways, a connection, on the tangent bundle (a specific type of a fiber bundle so the connection is more general than this) to a manifold, allows you to relate neighboring elements of the tangent bundle through parallel transport. Christoffel symbols are the components of the levi - civita connection, [itex]\bigtriangledown[/itex], which is a torsion - free connection that, when acting on the metric, gives [itex]\bigtriangledown g = 0[/itex]. That is very simplified; I personally found the definition of the connection in O'Neill's Semi - Riemannian Geometry text to be very clear as well as doCarmo's text. Also, I would personally go with Carroll then Wald or at least finishing the appendices in Carroll and then using Wald.

I read it in Wikipedia's article on it.

Wikipedia said:
In differential geometry, the Ricci curvature tensor, named after Gregorio Ricci-Curbastro, represents the amount by which the volume element of a geodesic ball in a curved Riemannian manifold deviates from that of the standard ball in Euclidean space. As such, it provides one way of measuring the degree to which the geometry determined by a given Riemannian metric might differ from that of ordinary Euclidean n-space.

Last edited:
Last edited:

jfy4 said:
Carrol's book takes a geometric approach.
OK thanks; I'll have to check that out! ^_^

1. How is Ricci curvature related to volume deficit?

Ricci curvature is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to measure the curvature of a space. It is closely related to the volume deficit, which is the difference between the actual volume of a curved space and the volume of its tangent space. This means that a higher Ricci curvature indicates a larger volume deficit in the space.

2. What does Ricci curvature tell us about the shape of a space?

Ricci curvature tells us about the curvature of a space in terms of how much it deviates from being flat. A higher Ricci curvature indicates a more curved space, while a lower Ricci curvature indicates a flatter space.

3. How does Ricci curvature represent the deficit of a space's volume?

Ricci curvature represents the deficit of a space's volume by measuring the difference between the actual volume of the space and the volume of its tangent space. This deficit is related to the curvature of the space and can be visualized as the amount of "bending" or "curving" in the space.

4. Can Ricci curvature be negative?

Yes, Ricci curvature can be negative. This indicates that the space is negatively curved, meaning it has a saddle-like shape. Negative Ricci curvature is associated with spaces such as hyperbolic surfaces and negatively curved manifolds.

5. How is Ricci curvature calculated?

Ricci curvature is calculated using a mathematical formula involving the second derivatives of the metric tensor, which describes the distance between points in a space. This calculation allows us to determine the amount of curvature in a given space and how it relates to the volume deficit.