How can I use active filters to control a balancing robot project using LabVIEW?

In summary, this person wants to make a simplified "segway" project and is unsure about how to set it all up. They plan on using a servo motor with a wheel attached and attaching a breadboard to act as a inverted pendulum. They are using PID control through active filters to achieve the desired wheel rotation. They are also using three op amps for PID control. If this project is robust enough, they would like some feedback.
LabGuy330
Hey everyone,

I want to make a a simplified "segway" project. I plan on using a servo motor with a wheel attached and attaching a breadboard to act as a inverted pendulum. My idea is to use LabVIEW to generate the PWM for the servo and (instead of using LabVIEW PID) use active filters to act as a PID controller. I would be using a simple tilt sensor for inclination.

This is my first "robotics" project and I was looking for some advice. I am unsure exactly how to set everything up. I know from a controls systems class I have taken that the error signal is the input to the PID controller (in my case the filters) and outputs a calculated voltage. Should this calculated voltage be an input to my LabVIEW assembly for generating a propper PWM for the servo? If so any advice on achieving this?

My knowledge of electronics is somewhat limited, however I am very interested in the field. My LabVIEW skills aren't excellent either so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey thanks for the replies!

Those links/videos are impressive. My project won't be as sophisticated (just a smaller scale). My idea is to basically have a balancing toy, something small for a simple lab project. Something similar would be like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdNxgCsWB5E"

I do not plan on using his methods however (he uses LDRs and a 555 timer). I want the lab to get an understanding of PID control through active filters. I have attached a simple schematic for it along with a block diagram.

Key for Block Diagram:
R(s) = Reference or desired angle (0 degrees so 0 V)
C(s) = Controller (PID through the active filters)
LV = LabVIEW (calculates PWM)
M(s) = Motor (outputs wheel rotation)
P(s) = Plant or dynamics of the inverted pendulum

I am using three op amps for PID control, proportional gain through one amplifier, integral control through integrator (low pass) amplifier, and derivative control through differentiator (high pass) amplifier. These signals are then summed to a summing amplifier which is at the far right of my schematic and outputs to LabVIEW to calculate the PWM for the motor.

Not sure how robust this idea is (I am a ME undergrad w/ limited mechatronics knowledge). If anyone has experience or any input with something like this I would love some feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 525
Last edited by a moderator:

What is a balancing robot project?

A balancing robot project is an engineering project that involves building a robot that can balance itself on two wheels without falling over. It uses sensors, motors, and a control system to maintain balance and move around.

What are the benefits of building a balancing robot?

Building a balancing robot can help develop skills in robotics, programming, and problem-solving. It can also be used for educational purposes, such as teaching physics and engineering concepts.

What components are needed for a balancing robot?

The main components needed for a balancing robot include a microcontroller, motor drivers, sensors (such as gyroscope and accelerometer), motors, and a power source. Additional components may include a chassis, wheels, and a control system.

What is the basic working principle of a balancing robot?

A balancing robot works by using sensors to collect data on its orientation and movement, which is then processed by a control system. The control system then sends signals to the motors to adjust their speed and direction, allowing the robot to maintain balance.

What are some challenges in building a balancing robot?

Some challenges in building a balancing robot include selecting the right components and ensuring they work together, programming the control system to respond accurately and quickly, and fine-tuning the robot's movements and balance. It also requires knowledge in electronics, mechanics, and programming.