Forced vibration with decreasing force amplitude

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with forced vibration in a mining skip. The force of the material hitting the bottom of the skip at a 50 degree angle is causing the skip to vibrate at distinct intervals with decreasing force. The speaker is asking for help in determining the nature of each impact and the parameters of the system in order to solve the problem using classical or Laplace transform methods. It is mentioned that adding a dampening force will not solve the problem and that the motion may not die down before the next impact.
abrandt
I'm working on a problem that has forced vibration. The force, every time it is applied, is less than the previous impact. For clarity, the problem is dealing with a mining skip that is emptying. The inside of the skip is separated in sections using ribs but the top blocks still exert a force on the lower blocks. The impact of the material hitting the bottom of the skip (a 50 degree angle) is causing the skip to vibrate. This impact happens at distinct intervals with the time between impacts remaining roughly constant. The impact force is decreasing due to the decreasing total mass of the material inside the skip. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. Most of the problems i have dealt with deal specifically with a periodic force that is constant each time it is applied. I thought about adding a dampening force to diminish the force each time it is applied but wouldn't that just act to dampen the free vibration component? For background i am an engineering student who is working on a project with an external company.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what a striker is, etc. etc. but you need to first determine the nature of each impact.

Is it a finite value of force (decreasing on each impact), EACH for a time interval T, or is it a series of decreasing impulses (Dirac delta functions), or ?

Then of course you need to determine the parameters defining your system. It had better be a second-order diff. eq. with constant coefficients. In other words, the equivalent of a spring, dashpot and mass.

Any other type of eq. & you have to use simulation software.

You're right, the damper does not solve your problem. You need to define the impacts by the forcing function in the diff. eq.

Once you have that you can solve the problem classically, or (as I would) using the Laplace transform. This is a transient problem, assuming the next set of impacts occurs much later.

PS - if the motion (vibrations) die down before the next impact arrives you have a much easier problem. But I imagine that's not the case or you wouldn't be asking in the first place, right?

1. What is forced vibration with decreasing force amplitude?

Forced vibration with decreasing force amplitude is a phenomenon in which a system is subjected to a periodically varying external force that decreases in amplitude over time.

2. How does forced vibration with decreasing force amplitude occur?

Forced vibration with decreasing force amplitude occurs when a system is forced to vibrate by an external force with a decreasing amplitude, causing the system to oscillate with decreasing energy.

3. What are the effects of forced vibration with decreasing force amplitude on a system?

The effects of forced vibration with decreasing force amplitude on a system can include a decrease in amplitude and energy of the system's oscillations, as well as a shift in the natural frequency of the system.

4. How is forced vibration with decreasing force amplitude different from forced vibration with constant force amplitude?

The main difference between forced vibration with decreasing force amplitude and forced vibration with constant force amplitude is the change in amplitude and energy of the system's oscillations over time. With decreasing force amplitude, the amplitude and energy decrease, while with constant force amplitude, the amplitude and energy remain constant.

5. What are some examples of forced vibration with decreasing force amplitude in real life?

Some examples of forced vibration with decreasing force amplitude in real life include a child swinging on a playground swing, a pendulum gradually coming to rest, and a guitar string being plucked and then slowly losing its vibration.