Where Can I Find the First Paper on Cloning?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for the first paper on cloning ever written. The earliest references can be found in a short bibliography on page 130 of a book on Google, with the earliest papers dating back to the mid 1970s. Some suggestions for finding the paper include using Google scholar and clarifying if the search is for cloning in theory or somatic cell nuclear transfer.
iamBevan
I'm not getting much success with Google - does anyone know where I could find the first paper on cloning ever written?

Biology news on Phys.org
or maybe something like one of the most hyped papers in the field?

Last edited:
iamBevan said:
I'm not getting much success with Google - does anyone know where I could find the first paper on cloning ever written?

Are you talking about "cloning" in "theory" or are you talking about somatic cell nuclear transfer (that process made famous by certain sheep http://images.paraorkut.com/img/emoticons/images/s/sheep-93.gif )?

If the latter, I'd try Google scholar

Last edited by a moderator:

I am happy to assist with your query. The earliest paper on cloning was published in 1952 by Robert Briggs and Thomas King. The paper, titled "Transplantation of Living Nuclei from Blastula Cells into Enucleated Frogs' Eggs," described their successful experiments with cloning tadpoles from frog embryo cells. This groundbreaking research laid the foundation for future cloning studies and opened the door to a new field of science. You can easily find this paper by searching for the authors' names and the title of the paper on academic databases such as PubMed or Google Scholar. I hope this helps in your research.

What is the "Earliest cloning paper"?

The "Earliest cloning paper" refers to the scientific paper published in 1973 by researchers Stanley Cohen and Herbert Boyer, detailing their successful cloning of a specific gene in bacteria. This paper is considered a milestone in the field of genetic engineering and laid the foundation for future cloning research.

Why is the "Earliest cloning paper" significant?

The "Earliest cloning paper" is significant because it demonstrated for the first time that scientists could manipulate and replicate specific genes in living organisms. This discovery opened up new possibilities for genetic research and biotechnology, and has led to numerous advancements in medicine, agriculture, and other fields.

What methods were used in the "Earliest cloning paper"?

In their paper, Cohen and Boyer used a technique called recombinant DNA technology to insert a specific gene from one type of bacteria into another type of bacteria. This involved cutting and splicing DNA fragments using enzymes and then introducing the recombinant DNA into the host bacteria, where it replicated and expressed the inserted gene.

What were the ethical concerns surrounding the "Earliest cloning paper"?

The "Earliest cloning paper" raised ethical concerns about the potential implications of genetic engineering and cloning. Some feared that this technology could be used to create "designer babies" or manipulate the natural course of evolution. Others were concerned about the safety and unintended consequences of altering genetic material.

Has the "Earliest cloning paper" been replicated or built upon?

Yes, the techniques and findings presented in the "Earliest cloning paper" have been replicated and built upon by numerous scientists around the world. Since 1973, cloning technology has advanced significantly, leading to the cloning of various organisms and the development of new methods and applications in genetic engineering. The impact of the "Earliest cloning paper" continues to be felt in modern scientific research and advancements.