Best graduate programs for GEN IV reactor design

In summary, the universities that have nuclear engineering graduate programs that specialize in design and analysis of GEN IV reactors are Michigan, Penn State, MIT, North Carolina State, and possibly Cal at Berkley.
DF19
Hello,

I would like some recommendations on universities that have nuclear engg. graduate programs that specialize in design and analysis of GEN IV reactors. My professors have recommended the following:

1. Michigan
2. Penn State
3. MIT
4. North Carolina State

Any info regarding grad programs would be greatly appreciated. I want to earn my masters and work in the industry for companies like General Atomics, Westinghouse or AREVA.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any of those universities are acceptable.

You'll have to keep an eye on the Gen IV program though. It appears to be in the process of being absorbed by SMR and possibly other programs.

SMRs, particuarly those based on current LWR technology, are gaining priority in the industry at the moment.

https://smr.inl.gov/ (Note the Gen IV image on the page - at least this week there is)
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf33.html

http://nuclear.energy.gov/genIV/neGenIV1.html (this will probably change)

I am actually very interested in SMRs and would like to work on them in the future. None of my professors recommended Cal at Berkley, but it is one of the schools I am considering. Oregon State as well.

I would steer clear from Cal at Berkeley. The program there is refocusing more towards Nuclear Physics and not engineering. Plus it's struggling like the rest of the state for funding and they've lost a few people recently.

I'd suggest MIT, UM-Ann Arbor, UW-Madison, NCSU, Penn State, and OSU for highly for Gen IV reactors, but I'd also encourage you to look at RPI, UTK, and Texas A&M as well.

Basically anyone on this list:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ineering-schools/nuclear-engineering-rankings

has someone working in Gen IV reactors or something closely related to it.

Thermalne is wrong about Berkeley as they have several groups with large grants working hard on next generation reactors (including pebble bed and breed-and-burn). My advice is to apply to all the top tier schools and visit every single one you get into ( most will pay for your trip :) ). What I experienced is the research on many school websites is somewhat outdated and visiting is an excellent chance to see both the current research focus and culture of the department/group.

1. What is a GEN IV reactor?

A GEN IV reactor is a type of nuclear reactor that has been designed to be more efficient and safer than previous generations of reactors. It uses advanced technologies such as fast neutron reactors, molten salt reactors, and gas-cooled reactors to generate electricity.

2. Why are graduate programs for GEN IV reactor design important?

Graduate programs for GEN IV reactor design are important because they train scientists and engineers to develop and improve upon the technology used in these reactors. This is crucial in order to advance the use of nuclear energy and make it more sustainable.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate program in GEN IV reactor design?

Pursuing a graduate program in GEN IV reactor design allows individuals to gain specialized knowledge and skills in this rapidly evolving field. It also opens up opportunities for research and development, as well as potential employment in the nuclear energy industry.

4. Are there any top-ranked graduate programs for GEN IV reactor design?

Yes, there are several top-ranked graduate programs for GEN IV reactor design, including programs at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Michigan, and University of California, Berkeley. These programs have a strong focus on nuclear engineering and offer specialized courses in GEN IV reactor design.

5. What kind of career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in GEN IV reactor design?

Graduates with a degree in GEN IV reactor design have a variety of career opportunities available to them. They can work in research and development, design and construction of nuclear facilities, or in regulatory agencies. They may also work in the nuclear energy industry, government agencies, or consulting firms.