Needed: Material for Engine Compartment bolt on.

In summary, a member of Physics Forums is seeking guidance for a project involving finding a material that can withstand the heat and other conditions in a car engine compartment. They mention considering bioplastic from Mazda but are unsure of its heat resistance. They also inquire about environmentally friendly materials. More details are needed to narrow down the choices.
sixer
Dear Physics Forums members,

I humbly ask your guidance on a project I've just started :blushing:. I need to find a material that can be fabricated for a device that is to be placed in a car engine compartment. Forged, cast or cut, it must withstand the heat of the engine (although it will not be directly mounted to the engine block), -40 degree Celsius, the shock of hard driving, and be environmentally friendly.

I looked at the bioplastic from Mazda, but unsure if it can withstand the heat?

I appreciate any information your collective may have on this. :smile:

Thanks!
Sixer

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are myriad materials that meet your non-specific criteria. You will need fill in some details before we can narrow the choices.

Steel and aluminium are environment friendly because they're recycled.

1. What type of material is recommended for an engine compartment bolt on?

The most commonly used material for engine compartment bolt ons is metal, specifically steel or aluminum. These materials are strong, durable, and able to withstand high temperatures and vibrations.

2. How thick should the material be for an engine compartment bolt on?

The thickness of the material will depend on the specific application and the amount of stress the bolt on will be under. Generally, materials between 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thick are sufficient for most engine compartment bolt ons.

3. Can plastic be used as a material for engine compartment bolt ons?

While plastic may be a lightweight and inexpensive option, it is not recommended for engine compartment bolt ons. Plastic may not be able to withstand the high temperatures and vibrations of the engine, and may break or melt over time.

4. Is there a specific grade of material that should be used for engine compartment bolt ons?

The grade of material will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the bolt on. For example, if the bolt on is meant to secure heavy parts or withstand high torque, a higher grade material such as steel with a higher tensile strength may be necessary.

5. Are there any coatings or treatments that can be applied to the material for better performance?

Yes, there are various coatings and treatments that can be applied to the material to improve its performance in the engine compartment. These include heat-resistant coatings, corrosion-resistant coatings, and anti-vibration coatings. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the best treatment for your specific application.