Time before visit number one, random walk

In summary, the conversation discusses a random walk problem given by a professor, involving a Markov chain with specific properties and a variable N representing the minimum number of steps needed to reach a state of 15. The problem is to calculate the probability of N being greater than or equal to 1000 for two different starting states (n0=0 and n0=10). The conversation also includes a potential solution in terms of a 16x16 matrix and discusses the limitations of this solution.
Paalfaal
Hi there!

I'm working on a random walk-problem my professor gave me.

Given a MC with the following properties:
P0,0 = 1 - p
P0,1 = p
Pi,i-1 = 1 - pi
Pi,i+1 = pi
i [itex]\in[/itex][1,∞)
Xn: state at step number n

The chain is irreducible and ergodic and 0 < p ≤ 1

introducing N:
N = {min n > 0 : Xn = 15 | X0 = n0}

The problem to be calculated is:

P(N [itex]\geq[/itex] 1000).
for n0 = 0
and n0 = 10

My thoughts:

P(N [itex]\geq[/itex] 1000) = 1 - P(N < 1000) = 1 - [P(N = 999) + P(N = 998) + ...]

Now here's where it gets tricky (I think). It is very hard to determine an exact solution sice the markov property causes the chain to 'forget' if it has been to a state before. That is, we don't know if it's the first time we visit a state when we visit a state (correct me if I'm wrong here, but there is no 'easy' way to solve this problem).

By 'calculate' I wonder if he really means 'approximate'. Since Pi,i+1 gets so small for large i the answer can be approximated to:
P(N [itex]\geq[/itex] 1000) ≈ 1 - Ʃk=1998 Pi,14kP14,15
= 1 - P14,15Ʃk=1998Pi,14k
(don't worry about my summation shenanigans. MATLAB can solve this for me)
Obviously this approximation can only be good for realtively small p, and n0

I really want your thoughts on this problem. Are there any solutions that are more 'correct' than mine? Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you make X=15 an absorbing state, you could write the solution in terms of powers of a 16 by 16 matrix.

bpet said:
If you make X=15 an absorbing state, you could write the solution in terms of powers of a 16 by 16 matrix.

Of course! Thank you very much :smile:

1. What is a "Time before visit number one" in a random walk?

A "Time before visit number one" in a random walk refers to the number of steps or moves taken before a walker first reaches a specific point or location in the walk. This point is usually referred to as the "origin" or "starting point" of the walk.

2. Why is the "Time before visit number one" important in a random walk?

The "Time before visit number one" is important in a random walk because it helps determine the probability of reaching a specific location in a given number of steps. It also helps in understanding the behavior and properties of random walks, which have applications in various fields such as physics, biology, and finance.

3. How is the "Time before visit number one" calculated in a random walk?

The "Time before visit number one" can be calculated by simulating multiple random walks and counting the number of steps taken before reaching the desired location. The average of these counts gives an estimate of the "Time before visit number one". Alternatively, mathematical formulas can be used to calculate the exact value for specific types of random walks.

4. Can the "Time before visit number one" be predicted in a random walk?

No, the "Time before visit number one" cannot be predicted in a random walk. This is because random walks are inherently unpredictable and depend on chance. However, the average value of the "Time before visit number one" can be estimated and used in calculations and predictions.

5. How does the "Time before visit number one" change with different parameters in a random walk?

The "Time before visit number one" can change depending on the parameters of the random walk, such as the step size, direction, and dimensionality. In some cases, increasing the number of dimensions or decreasing the step size can lead to a longer "Time before visit number one". It also varies depending on the specific starting and ending points of the walk.