Electric polarization of a dielectric due to a magentic field

In summary, the dielectric cylinder placed in a uniform magnetic field parallel to its axis will experience a radial Lorentz force due to its rotation. This force will cause the nuclei and electrons to become polarized and there should arise a P field in the dielectric. However, this P field is not due to an electric field but a magnetic field.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Imagine a dielectric cylinder placed in a uniform magnetic field parallel to its axis.
Then we make it rotate around its axis.
The nuclei and electrons should feel a radial lorentz force because of their rotation around the axis of cylinder.The forces applied to electrons and nuclei are in opposite direction so the atoms should become polarized and there should arise a [itex] \vec{P} [/itex] field in the dielectric.But this [itex] \vec{P} [/itex] field is not due to an electric field but a magnetic field.
I can't find explanations or formulas regarding polarization due to magnetic fields.
Can somebody help?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Polarization due to electric field is from the separation of charge since qE acts in opposite directions for + and - charge and atoms are made of + and - charges.

How does a B field interact with atoms?

Ok,let me explain precisly.
I will use cylindrical coordinates [itex] (\rho,\phi,z) [/itex]
There is a magnetic field [itex] \vec{B}=B_0 \hat{z} [/itex]
We place a dilelectric cylinder in it with its axis parallel to z axis
Then we make the cylinder rotate around its axis with angular velocity [itex] \omega [/itex]
every atom is then rotating with angular velocity [itex] \omega [/itex] which translates to a linear velocity [itex] v=\rho \omega [/itex]
So the electron cloud and nucleus of the atom will experience a force [itex] \vec{F}=Zer \omega B_0 \hat{\rho} [/itex] which is toward the center of the cylinder for the electron cloud and outward for the nucleus.This force accelerates the nucleus and the electron cloud in opposite directions until its stopped by the coloumb attraction of the two.This will make a electric dipole and since it happens for all of the atoms in the dielectric,it should form a [itex] P [/itex] field.

OK - so what is the problem?

The problem is that every text about polarization density,just mentions electric field as a source and I can't find formulas and explanations about polarization density due to magnetic fields.

That's fair enough - texts leave out all kinds of things - you have all the information needed to figure them out for yourself.
In fact it is a fairly common problem given to students. (Since it is so common, I'm being a tad more circumspect that I could be.)

Was there a particular problem you were interested in?
Have you seen:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=448392

You could also try to Lorentz transform the magnetic field into the reference frame where the dielectric is at rest. There will be an electric field component in that frame that accounts for polarisation.

Rereading my last responce I may have been a bit terse.
My thinking is:

The first step to solving a problem by scientific method is to clearly identify the problem.

Shyan's stated problem is that texts don't cover this situation.
I don't think many of us are in a position to do anything about that.

Since it is a common configuration for a teaching exercise, it may be that the problem comes up in the context of homework.

So this is either a homework problem or a discussion about text-book publishing policies.
(Maybe he needs to look at a different text: a GR one covering the Faraday tensor perhaps?)

There are several paths through this as a homework problem - I think I'd like to know more so I can tell what level the suggestions should be pitched at, at least. But I didn't need to be so closed mouthed about it :)

Simon Bridge said:
That's fair enough - texts leave out all kinds of things - you have all the information needed to figure them out for yourself.
In fact it is a fairly common problem given to students. (Since it is so common, I'm being a tad more circumspect that I could be.)

Was there a particular problem you were interested in?
Have you seen:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=448392

Well,it was a problem at the end of the "Electromagnetic Induction" chapter of the "Foundations of electromagnetic theory" by Reitz and Milford.

I guess the reason that no formula can be found anywhere,is that there is no general formula for it.
I managed to calculate it and this is my result:
[itex] \vec{P}=\frac{4}{3}e\sqrt{\frac{ke}{\omega R B}} \hat{\rho} [/itex]
in cylindrical coordinates.
I should mention that the above formula is for a cylinder containing hydrogen(well,I couldn't find the coloumb force between the poles for atoms with more electrons and well,we have to think about solid hydrogen!)

Last edited:
DrDu said:
You could also try to Lorentz transform the magnetic field into the reference frame where the dielectric is at rest. There will be an electric field component in that frame that accounts for polarisation.

That's correct but not for this particular problem because here the velocity depends on the distance from the center of the cylinder.

Thanks both

I should mention that the result I mentioned,is under the assumption that the distance to the center is much greater than the dipole length otherwise I think we should consider the change in lorentz force due to the movement of the nucleus and the electron cloud.
It has several difficulties if analyzed carefully.

Shyan said:
Well,it was a problem at the end of the "Electromagnetic Induction" chapter of the "Foundations of electromagnetic theory" by Reitz and Milford.
I thought it was something like that ... it is a teaching/learning exercize: you learn more by doing it yourself than from me pointing you at a solution.
I guess the reason that no formula can be found anywhere,is that there is no general formula for it.
It is more that this is a special case of an accelerating reference frame ... there are an infinite number of them and listing all the equations, even just for the interesting ones, would make for an expensive book. The general method is covered in other kinds of courses like general relativity.

I managed to calculate it and this is my result:
[itex] \vec{P}=\frac{4}{3}e\sqrt{\frac{ke}{\omega R B}} \hat{\rho} [/itex]
in cylindrical coordinates.
I should mention that the above formula is for a cylinder containing hydrogen(well,I couldn't find the coloumb force between the poles for atoms with more electrons and well,we have to think about solid hydrogen!)
Hmmm... in a rotating cylinder, wouldn't the gas be more dense towards the outside?

For a rotating solid dielectric, the dielectric constant is supposed to take care of these concerns. Did you look at the link I gave you?
I also have found a more rigorous treatment: Kirk T. McDonald's Dielectric Cylinder That Rotates in a Uniform Magnetic Field (2003).

Shyan said:
That's [Lorentz transform approach] correct but not for this particular problem because here the velocity depends on the distance from the center of the cylinder.
It is perfectly correct for this problem - it just means you need the Lorentz transformation for a rotating reference frame ... that would be covered in General Relativity.

You could try applying the LT you know already to annular shells thickness dr at radius r... but I think MacDonald's paper is the one you want.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
Hmmm... in a rotating cylinder, wouldn't the gas be more dense towards the outside?

For a rotating solid dielectric, the dielectric constant is supposed to take care of these concerns. Did you look at the link I gave you?
I also have found a more rigorous treatment: Kirk T. McDonald's Dielectric Cylinder That Rotates in a Uniform Magnetic Field (2003).
Well,as I mentioned,I was imagining solid hydrogen :biggrin:
Yes,but that link was about a problem in reverse
Thanks,that seems nice,I'll read it
Simon Bridge said:
It is perfectly correct for this problem - it just means you need the Lorentz transformation for a rotating reference frame ... that would be covered in General Relativity.

You could try applying the LT you know already to annular shells thickness dr at radius r... but I think MacDonald's paper is the one you want.
Yeah,you're right and then an integration

Thanks

Shyan said:
That's correct but not for this particular problem because here the velocity depends on the distance from the center of the cylinder.

Thanks both
So what? The Lorentz trafo will depend on position. You are also going to a non-inertial system and this will lead in principle to modifications of the dielectric response. The point is that you have to go to the rest frame of the dielectric because the dielectric function is defined in the rest frame.

1) What is the concept of electric polarization in dielectrics?

Electric polarization in dielectrics refers to the process of aligning the electric dipole moments of atoms or molecules in a material in response to an external electric field. This results in an induced dipole moment, which causes the material to become polarized.

2) How does a magnetic field affect the electric polarization of a dielectric?

A magnetic field can induce an electric polarization in a dielectric material when the material is placed in the field. This is known as magneto-electric polarization and is caused by the movement of charges within the material in response to the magnetic field.

3) What is the relationship between electric polarization and the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of the electric polarization induced in a dielectric material is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field applied. This means that a stronger magnetic field will result in a greater induced electric polarization in the material.

4) Can electric polarization in a dielectric be reversed by a magnetic field?

Yes, the electric polarization induced in a dielectric material by a magnetic field can be reversed if the direction of the magnetic field is changed. This is because the induced dipole moment will align in the opposite direction to the magnetic field, resulting in a reversal of the electric polarization.

5) What are some practical applications of electric polarization in dielectrics due to a magnetic field?

One practical application is in the development of magneto-electric materials, which have both magnetic and electric properties. These materials have potential uses in sensors, actuators, and data storage devices. Another application is in the production of capacitors, which utilize the induced polarization to store electric charge. Additionally, the phenomenon of electric polarization in dielectrics due to a magnetic field is important in understanding the behavior of materials in magnetic fields, which has implications in various fields such as material science and geophysics.