Low Activity on Forums - Has Anyone Else Noticed?

• Thread starter STAii
  • Start date
In summary, since the forums switched to a new layout, there has been a decrease in activity on topics. In the past, even with fewer members, there would be 5-6 replies on a topic within the first 1-2 days. Now, some topics go for weeks without any replies. It is suggested that members may only be checking the "General" forum of each section and not the others. It is proposed that members be encouraged to visit and participate in the other forums as well. However, some members have found the new layout overwhelming and have only been visiting a few select forums. This has resulted in slower page loading times and a decrease in overall forum usage. It is suggested that the posts per topic rates be observed
STAii
I don't know if any other has noticed, but since the new layout of the forums has been out, the activity on topics became really lower.
In the old days (and even when there was a lot less people on the forums), we used to see a topic having at least 5-6 replies from the first to second day (of course, it depends on the subject).
Now, i see that some topics are remaining for weeks inside a forum without being replied to. Is anyone else noticing this ?
Trying to explain this, i thought that maybe members are only checking the "General" forum of each section. If this is the case, can't we find some way of encouraging members to go to the other forums of the same section too ?
This is onyl a suggestion of course :smile:.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by STAii
I don't know if any other has noticed, but since the new layout of the forums has been out, the activity on topics became really lower.
In the old days (and even when there was a lot less people on the forums), we used to see a topic having at least 5-6 replies from the first to second day (of course, it depends on the subject).
Now, i see that some topics are remaining for weeks inside a forum without being replied to. Is anyone else noticing this ?
Trying to explain this, i thought that maybe members are only checking the "General" forum of each section. If this is the case, can't we find some way of encouraging members to go to the other forums of the same section too ?
This is onyl a suggestion of course :smile:.

Actually my stats say we are pretty much averaging the same posts per day as we were before the change. Maybe it just seems less because we have more forums. :smile:

Yes maybe, but also remember that the posts per day is not directly related to the posts per topic.
If most people are enetering only certain forums, they can still post replies, while some other topics might be empty of replies.
Maybe if we observe the posts per topic rates (as they change) in each sub-forum, we will be able to make an accurate conclusion. Don't you think so ?
Thanks for your time Greg. And thanks for making the forums of course.

Originally posted by STAii

Weeks?

I thought it had only been about 1 week.

Well, i might have been exagerating, what i meant by "weeks" is, a lot of a time :smile:

actually, i agree. I found that since the dilution of the forum (segmenting), I don't even visit most of them anymore.

I just click onto 'Biology' and 'General Philosophy' and that's it. There's just too much ! I liked the old layout better, that way you had a much better mixture of posts and more people viewing,adding their own piece of knowledge.

There are too many forums , and this makes opening all the forums and check the topics in it something very slow , there are too many forums ...
This kills my bandwith , cause i open more than 4 windows for maths :S ... while I used to open only one in PF V.2

1. Why is there low activity on forums?

There could be several reasons for low activity on forums. It could be due to a decrease in user interest, lack of new or engaging topics, or competition from other platforms.

2. Is this a common trend on all forums?

It depends on the specific forum and its audience. Some forums may experience low activity due to seasonal changes, while others may have a consistent level of engagement.

3. How does low activity on forums affect the community?

Low activity on forums can lead to a decrease in discussions and interactions among members, which can negatively impact the overall sense of community and discourage new members from joining.

4. What can be done to increase activity on forums?

Promoting the forum through social media and other platforms, creating new and interesting topics, and actively engaging with members can help increase activity on forums. Additionally, regularly updating the forum with fresh content can also help attract new users.

5. Will low activity on forums eventually lead to the forum shutting down?

Not necessarily. While low activity can be a cause for concern, it does not necessarily mean that the forum will shut down. Forum owners can take steps to increase activity and keep the community thriving.