Free electron Theory and Boltzmann Transport equation

In summary: Your request is puzzling, and it is unclear what you have attempted yourself. For example, you are asking for an explanation of the "remaining" terms in the Boltzmann transport equation. WHAT remaining terms? The "V"? You had already listed the definition of everything else! I find it puzzling that (i) the text that you got the equation from has no explanation or definition of what this is and (ii) you can't do your own search to find this out.
shayaan_musta
Hello!

I have two questions for knowledge.

Q) Explain under what conditions Maxwell Boltzmann and Fermi Dirac statistics are applied on free electrons.

Q) Explain each parameter of Boltzmann Transport's equation.

Thank you in advance. :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post homework questions in the homework forum and remember to show what work you can do.

Hello..

I said above it is for knowledge, by the way it is not related to my field, someone asked me about this so I said I don't know.
That's why I post this question here. Obviously it is not homework.

I just want to know. And it is not a mathematical work that could I show you my work, it is theoretical, isn't it?

shayaan_musta,

I said above it is for knowledge, by the way it is not related to my field, someone asked me about this so I said I don't know.
That's why I post this question here. Obviously it is not homework.

I just want to know. And it is not a mathematical work that could I show you my work, it is theoretical, isn't it?

Do you expect anyone to answer those questions in a few words? Did you try to first gain knowledge about that subject by reading a book or other references? This forum cannot replace a background study program. If you have any specific narrow focused questions, then someone can probably help you.

Ratch

shayaan_musta said:
Hello!

I have two questions for knowledge.

Q) Explain under what conditions Maxwell Boltzmann and Fermi Dirac statistics are applied on free electrons.

Q) Explain each parameter of Boltzmann Transport's equation.

Thank you in advance. :-)

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3588

Especially #4, since we have no clue on whether you have any knowledge of Solid State Physics or not.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you expect anyone to answer those questions in a few words? Did you try to first gain knowledge about that subject by reading a book or other references? This forum cannot replace a background study program. If you have any specific narrow focused questions, then someone can probably help you.

Thank you for reply.
Yes brother I tried to gain knowledge. When someone asked me about this question then I read book named solid state physics by R.K.Puri but when I saw review question then I couldn't be able to reveal the answers of above questions while other question in book seems OK to me.

By the way, here is Boltzmann Transport Equation,
[itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex]=-[itex]\underline{V}[/itex].∇f-[itex]\underline{F}[/itex].∇[itex]_{p}[/itex]f+([itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex])[itex]_{coll}[/itex]
Where,
[itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex]=influence of electric field or magnetic field or a temperature gradient.
[itex]\underline{F}[/itex]=force acting on the particles of distributions at the point.
∇[itex]_{p}[/itex]=gradient operator in momentum space.
([itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex])[itex]_{coll}[/itex]=change in distribution function due to scattering process.
Now can you tell me about remaining terms?

Last edited:
OK. So no one here to help me ?

shayaan_musta said:
OK. So no one here to help me ?

I repeat, your request is puzzling, and it is unclear what you have attempted yourself. For example, you are asking for an explanation of the "remaining" terms in the Boltzmann transport equation. WHAT remaining terms? The "V"? You had already listed the definition of everything else! I find it puzzling that (i) the text that you got the equation from has no explanation or definition of what this is and (ii) you can't do your own search to find this out.

Zz.

1. What is the Free Electron Theory?

The Free Electron Theory is a model used to explain the behavior of conduction electrons in metals. It states that in a metal, some of the valence electrons are not bound to individual atoms, but are free to move throughout the entire metal lattice.

2. How does the Free Electron Theory explain electrical conductivity in metals?

According to the Free Electron Theory, when an electric field is applied to a metal, the free electrons will accelerate in the direction of the field, causing a net movement of charge and resulting in electrical conductivity.

3. What is the Boltzmann Transport equation?

The Boltzmann Transport equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of particles, such as electrons, in a material. It takes into account factors such as scattering and thermal energy to determine the distribution of particles and their movement in a material.

4. How is the Boltzmann Transport equation used in the Free Electron Theory?

In the Free Electron Theory, the Boltzmann Transport equation is used to calculate the average velocity and energy of free electrons in a metal. These values are then used to determine the electrical and thermal conductivity of the material.

5. What are some limitations of the Free Electron Theory and Boltzmann Transport equation?

One limitation is that they do not take into account the interactions between electrons and the lattice of the material, which can affect the behavior of electrons. Additionally, these theories do not fully explain the properties of materials at very low temperatures or in extreme conditions, such as high magnetic fields.