What are the most important global issues today?

In summary, the conversation discusses the global issues that are most important to people around the world. These include overpopulation, energy and water shortages, scientific advancement, global warming, and social/family values. While there are varying opinions on which issue should be considered the most important, many agree that these issues are all interconnected and solving one could lead to solutions for others. There is also mention of the impact of man's inability to reflect and discipline himself on these issues. Terrorism is also briefly mentioned, but it is not a top concern for the group.

The most important current issue:

• Terrorism

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Over-population

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Energy

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Impact of Global Economy/Trade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Environment/Global Warming

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Nuclear Disarmament/Containment

• Events In The Middle East

• Pan Endemic Diseases

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scientific Advancement

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
SOS2008
Gold Member
I came across information, such as data published by The Pew Global Attitudes Project, however there didn't seem to be much statistics available (yet) on what is important to people around the world at this time. I thought it might be interesting to see what is important in different countries, and why--maybe even rank the top 3-5 issues of most importance...

Physics news on Phys.org
I voted for energy, but let me insert the caveat that I find water and energy to be the two most important global issues. Clean water and energy are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain for many people, increasingly expensive, and will likely be the source of much conflict in this century if that fact is not dealt with.

Didn't quite know whether to go with overpopulation (did in the end) or global economy, but interpreted as problems of the developing countries.

Energy/water shortages go hand in hand with the overpopulation. Even here in California, you can see it, with signs out in the Central Valley calling for Los Angeles to quit stealing the water needed by farmers to grow their crops. Arid regions with little resources just aren't meant to be inhabited by so many people.

loseyourname said:
I voted for energy...
I'm glad to see so many people did. But then, this is a science site...

Voting for energy has to do with most of the members of the forum being from industrialized countries. Energy is the most important global issue for them. (In fact, in industrial countries, not having a population growth rate high enough to cover the growing number of older folks is turning into a problem).

Globally, overpopulation and its demands on all resources is the biggest global issue. You sure can't raise the standard of living of all the third world countries to that of the US and Europe or you truly would have a global disaster.

BobG said:
Voting for energy has to do with most of the members of the forum being from industrialized countries. Energy is the most important global issue for them. (In fact, in industrial countries, not having a population growth rate high enough to cover the growing number of older folks is turning into a problem).

Globally, overpopulation and its demands on all resources is the biggest global issue. You sure can't raise the standard of living of all the third world countries to that of the US and Europe or you truly would have a global disaster.
Energy is a bigger issue than that. I just read that China is going to build 300 coal plants over the next 10 years. That's an energy issue, an environmental/pollution issue, an overpopulation issue, a poverty issue, etc. In fact, it applies to everything on the list except nuclear disarnament.

I voted scientific advancement. Although energy is a good choice, if fusion was made stable and efficient tomorrow, it would disappear as an issue

cronxeh said:
I voted scientific advancement. Although energy is a good choice, if fusion was made stable and efficient tomorrow, it would disappear as an issue
Dang, you have me there. I voted for global warming, but I guess if one plays "paper, scissors, rock" a lot of the issues will come down to scientific advancement.

Of course the number of ideas are limited to ten. There is hunger (which is a resource, overpopulation, etc. issue) education, genocide, health care, etc. For people in the U.S. (outside this forum?), I guess I should have put social/family values? One that I've been interested in lately is the importance of the UN/International Organizations...

Last edited:
I voted "other", by that I mean man's inability to reflect and discipline and revise himself.

loseyourname said:
Energy/water shortages go hand in hand with the overpopulation. Even here in California, you can see it, with signs out in the Central Valley calling for Los Angeles to quit stealing the water needed by farmers to grow their crops. Arid regions with little resources just aren't meant to be inhabited by so many people.
Good point--I hadn't thought about water. I voted global warming because even a slight change in the climate could effect our water resources, whether for better or worse, I don't know. Both water and climate will effect crops, and food production will effect hunger...

I meant to mention that here in Arizona we have been in a drought, which by historical data was projected to last as much as 30 years more. Due to all the moisture in recent months, a friend who is an engineer for Central Arizona Project has been working overtime to divert/conserve the water. I'll have to remember to ask him if this is considered the norm...

Last edited:
Polly said:
I voted "other", by that I mean man's inability to reflect and discipline and revise himself.
True -- that's the cause of most everything, such as impact on the environment and resources in general.

I voted for the envirnmental/global warming. Basically because I was torn between all the issues (except for terrorism and I'm not saying it isn't important). Many of these issues are all liked together. Solve one and it becomes easier to deal with the others. I suppose they are all linked to scientific advancement.

I'd suggest that clean water would become much less of an issue if the energy issue was addressed.

Too many of these issues go hand in hand, especially scientific advances/pan endemic disease/environment/energy.

We've currently got 2 votes for "Other". Whoever voted this way, did you mean water?

http://www.unicef.org/media/media_19974.html Other...clean water was my thought too

Polly said:
Hey, that's cheating. Just kiddin' :smile: I voted for scientific advancement, as this would address clean water, energy, the ozone, diseases, etc.

I almost went for "other" to put the biggest crisis, Social Security. :rofl: But seriously, it's interesting that there aren't many votes for terrorism, though I realize this is a science forum (and this is a small population). Still, as stated above about social/family values, maybe Bush's reasons to be are too U.S. specific.

I'm not overly surpirsed that not too many people voted for terrorism. Part ofmy reasoning is I feel as though we have a prety good handle on combating it. Why waste time thinking and worrying on something that we already have a handle on. I agree that these choices are closely related. However, I don't think they are too U.S. specific. Mainly for the reason that many other contries have the same concerns. Therefore they can be openly applied to just about everyone. If there are countries that haven't faced these issues yet, they may in the not so distant future.

misskitty said:
...I agree that these choices are closely related. However, I don't think they are too U.S. specific.
I guess what I said was confusing. I was trying to say Bush's "agenda" of war on terror, social/family values, Social Security, etc. are not the issues most important to the world at large. However, since my original post, Bush spoke about the importance of energy. Okay, what PF member is on his staff? :rofl:

Informal Logic said:
I guess what I said was confusing. I was trying to say Bush's "agenda" of war on terror, social/family values, Social Security, etc. are not the issues most important to the world at large. However, since my original post, Bush spoke about the importance of energy. Okay, what PF member is on his staff? :rofl:

Lol. :rofl: I don't know. Maybe now we might get his attention away from terror and more on the energy problem now. :biggrin:

I'll agree with your comment about Bush's agenda. It definitely isn't the world's biggest concern right now. It shouldn't be treated like it either.

1. What are the most pressing global issues today?

The most pressing global issues today include climate change, poverty and inequality, political and economic instability, access to education and healthcare, and the refugee crisis. These issues affect people all over the world and have far-reaching consequences.

2. How is climate change impacting the world?

Climate change is causing rising sea levels, extreme weather events, and loss of biodiversity. These changes have significant impacts on ecosystems, food production, and human health. It also has economic consequences, as natural disasters and crop failures can lead to financial losses.

3. What is being done to address poverty and inequality?

There are various efforts being made to address poverty and inequality, such as implementing fair trade practices, providing access to education and healthcare, and promoting sustainable economic growth. International organizations and governments also work to reduce poverty through policies and aid programs.

4. How can we promote peace and stability in the world?

Promoting peace and stability in the world requires addressing root causes of conflict, promoting diplomacy and international cooperation, and addressing economic and social inequalities. It also involves promoting human rights, resolving conflicts peacefully, and supporting democratic processes.

5. How can individuals make a positive impact on global issues?

Individuals can make a positive impact on global issues by educating themselves and others, participating in activism and advocacy, supporting ethical and sustainable businesses, and making environmentally conscious choices. Additionally, donating to reputable organizations and volunteering time or skills can also make a difference.