Topology from the Differentiable Viewpoint by Milnor

In summary, "Topology from the Differentiable Viewpoint" by John Milnor is a concise and comprehensive book on topology, specifically focused on smooth manifolds and smooth maps. It covers topics such as tangent spaces, regular values, the fundamental theorem of algebra, the Brouwer fixed point theorem, and more. The book also includes exercises and an appendix on classifying 1-manifolds. It is highly recommended for undergraduate students and those looking to learn new topics in topology.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't Recommend

• Strongly don't Recommend

• Total voters
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

Table of Contents:
Code:
[LIST]
[*] Preface
[*] Smooth manifolds and smooth maps
[*] Tangent spaces and derivatives
[*] Regular values
[*] The fundamental theorem of algebra
[*] The theorem of Sard and Brown
[*] Manifolds with boundary
[*] The Brouwer fixed point theorem
[*] Proof of Sard's theorem
[*] The degree modulo 2 of a mapping
[*] Smooth homotopy and smooth isotopy
[*] Oriented manifolds
[*] The Brouwer degree
[*] Vector fields and the Euler number
[*] Framed cobordism; the Pontryagin construction
[*] The Hopf theorem
[*] Exercises
[*] Appendix: Classifying 1-manifolds
[*] Bibliography
[*] Index
[/LIST]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is hard to imagine a book which will teach more in fewer pages than this one. A significant expansion of much of this material is in the book by Guillemin and Pollack.

mathwonk, your library must rival the great Alexandria's :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately i gave some volumes away when i moved out of my office. But my collection's strong representation in this sample is skewed because these books on this list are of such high quality!

(It is also partly because I am always trying to find books aimed at beginners and students from which I myself can learn new topics. Some of my friends have much larger collections of more advanced and specialized books.)

In fact my copy of Milnor's book which I bought in about 1966, was autographed by him in 1997 on the occasion of his delivering the Cantrell lectures at UGA.

http://www.math.uga.edu/seminars_conferences/milnor-lectures.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

As a fellow scientist, I am excited to see John Milnor's work on topology from the differentiable viewpoint. This book is a valuable resource for undergraduates interested in understanding the fundamental concepts of topology and its connections to differentiable manifolds.

Milnor's approach to topology is unique and insightful, as he explores the subject through the lens of smooth manifolds and smooth maps. His discussion on tangent spaces and derivatives provides a solid foundation for understanding the more complex topics in the book.

The inclusion of topics such as the fundamental theorem of algebra, Sard and Brown's theorem, and the Brouwer fixed point theorem make this book a well-rounded and comprehensive resource for undergraduates. The exercises at the end of each chapter also serve as a helpful tool for students to deepen their understanding of the material.

One of the highlights of this book is Milnor's proof of Sard's theorem, which is clear and concise, making it accessible to undergraduates. His discussion on smooth homotopy and smooth isotopy is also well-presented, providing a deeper understanding of these important concepts.

Moreover, the inclusion of topics such as oriented manifolds, the Brouwer degree, and the Hopf theorem adds a more advanced level of understanding to the subject. The appendix on classifying 1-manifolds is a helpful addition for students needing a refresher on this topic.

Overall, Topology from the Differentiable Viewpoint is an excellent resource for undergraduates interested in topology and its connections to differentiable manifolds. Milnor's clear writing style and comprehensive coverage of the subject make this book a must-have for any student studying topology. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to deepen their understanding of this fascinating field.

1. What is the main focus of "Topology from the Differentiable Viewpoint" by Milnor?

The main focus of this book is to introduce the concept of topology from a differentiable viewpoint, which is the study of smooth or differentiable functions on topological spaces. It explores the connection between topology and differential geometry, and how the two fields can be used to understand and describe the properties of spaces.

2. Who is John Milnor and why is he important in the study of topology?

John Milnor is an American mathematician who has made significant contributions to the field of topology. He is best known for his work in differential topology, including his proof of the existence of exotic spheres in seven dimensions. Milnor is also the author of several textbooks, including "Topology from the Differentiable Viewpoint", which has become a classic in the field.

3. Is this book suitable for beginners in topology?

No, this book is not recommended for beginners in topology. It assumes some familiarity with basic concepts in topology, such as compactness and continuity. It is more suitable for graduate students or researchers who have a background in mathematics and want to deepen their understanding of topology from a differentiable viewpoint.

4. What are some of the topics covered in "Topology from the Differentiable Viewpoint"?

The book covers a wide range of topics, including basic concepts in topology such as continuity, compactness, and connectedness, as well as more advanced topics such as homotopy theory, manifolds, and differential forms. It also includes discussions on the relationship between topology and differential geometry, and applications of topology in other areas of mathematics.

5. How is this book different from other books on topology?

This book stands out from other books on topology because of its focus on the differentiable viewpoint. It provides a unique perspective on topology, emphasizing the use of smooth functions and differential geometry to study topological spaces. It is also known for its clear and concise writing style, making it a popular choice among mathematicians and students in the field.