Aluminum plate extrusion

In summary, The speaker is experiencing an issue with their extruded Al plates being wrapped and out of tolerance, with a curvature on the surfaces. They are unsure if this is due to the extrusion or cutting process and suggest checking the specifications given to the vendor on the Purchase Order for potential resolution.
XiangYan
Hi, I get a whole bunch of extruded Al plates. Each of them is about 7" long by 3" wide and 0.08" in thickness. They are extruded parts and cut into 7" long on each pc.
However they are coming out wrapped, not substantial but quite a amount that is out of our tolerance. They are wrapped close to half mm on the 3" side and even worse (I guess 1mm~2mm) on the 7" side.

I wonder if this warp is introduced during the extrusion, or during cutting. I looked at typical 8020 parts, they look perfectly flat.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are your parts wrapped or warped? There is a difference.

Sorry, maybe a typo, I mean wrap, means a curvature on the surfaces.

warp as in 'not flat' ... I would worry more about what specs did you give the vendor on the Purchase Order. Without something in writing it will be hard to get the vendor to replace/redo/repair the work. I do not think it matters how the parts were damaged, unless it happened after you received them.

Hello, based on the information provided, it is possible that the warping is occurring during the extrusion process. The extrusion process involves pushing heated aluminum through a die, which can cause the material to bend or warp if not done properly. It is also possible that the cutting process is contributing to the warping, as the force of the cutting tool can also cause distortion in the material.

To determine the exact cause of the warping, it would be helpful to conduct a thorough analysis of the extrusion and cutting processes. This could involve examining the temperature and pressure settings during extrusion, as well as the sharpness and alignment of the cutting tool. Additionally, it may be beneficial to compare the extruded plates to the 8020 parts you mentioned to identify any differences in the production process that may be contributing to the warping.

Overall, it is important to address this issue in order to maintain quality control and ensure that the extruded plates meet the required tolerances. I would recommend working closely with the manufacturer to troubleshoot and improve the extrusion process to minimize warping in the future.

1. What is aluminum plate extrusion?

Aluminum plate extrusion is a manufacturing process that uses high pressure and heat to shape a solid piece of aluminum into a desired shape, typically a plate or sheet. This process is commonly used in the production of materials for construction, aerospace, and automotive industries.

2. How is aluminum plate extrusion different from other types of extrusion?

Aluminum plate extrusion is unique in that it uses a solid piece of aluminum as the starting material, rather than a billet or rod. This allows for more precise shaping and a smoother surface finish. Additionally, the high pressure and heat used in this process results in a stronger and more durable final product.

3. What are the advantages of using aluminum plate extrusion?

Aluminum plate extrusion offers numerous advantages, including high strength-to-weight ratio, corrosion resistance, and versatility in terms of shape and size. It is also a cost-effective option for mass production, as it allows for efficient use of material and quick production times.

4. What industries commonly use aluminum plate extrusion?

Aluminum plate extrusion is used in a wide range of industries, including construction, transportation, aerospace, and electronics. It is commonly used for making structural components, such as beams, panels, and frames, as well as heat sinks and electrical enclosures.

5. Are there any limitations to aluminum plate extrusion?

While aluminum plate extrusion offers many benefits, it may not be suitable for all applications. The process is limited in its ability to produce intricate designs and may not be cost-effective for small production runs. Additionally, the size of the extruded plate is limited by the size of the extrusion press and the availability of large aluminum billets.