Intensity of the light in the light bulb what physicist described it?

In summary, the intensity of light in a light bulb is dependent on the electric current. The first physicist to prove this concept is not clear, but it has been a common understanding since the invention of the light bulb. The wikipedia entry for the incandescent light bulb provides a history of its development. However, it should be noted that the statement "the intensity of light is proportional to the current" is not entirely accurate.
m_p_w
We know that the intensity of the light in the light bulb depends on the electric current.
And I want to know who was the first physicist who proved this.
And if there is a possibility could you also tell me how, why, when, where he did this experiment or give me an website, but the name of the physicist is also enough.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
m_p_w said:
We know that the intensity of the light in the light bulb depends on the electric current.
And I want to know who was the first physicist who proved this.
And if there is a possibility could you also tell me how, why, when, where he did this experiment or give me an website, but the name of the physicist is also enough.

thank you

The wikipedia entry has a history of the incandescent light bulb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb

:smile:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean simply "generally the intensity of light is greater if there is more current passing through the bulb", the first people to make light bulbs, Edison among others, knew that! After all, it follow from "conservation of energy" which long predates the light bulb. If you mean "the intensity of the light is proportional to the current", that's simply not true.

so it has always been a common sense that "generally the intensity of light is greater if there is more current passing through the bulb"

m_p_w said:
so it has always been a common sense that "generally the intensity of light is greater if there is more current passing through the bulb"

Yep.

Are these schoolwork questions?

1. What is the definition of intensity of light in a light bulb?

The intensity of light in a light bulb refers to the amount of light energy emitted per unit time. It is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²).

2. How is the intensity of light in a light bulb measured?

The intensity of light in a light bulb can be measured using a light meter, which detects and measures the amount of light energy at a specific point. It can also be calculated by dividing the power output of the light bulb by the surface area over which the light is distributed.

3. What factors affect the intensity of light in a light bulb?

The intensity of light in a light bulb can be affected by the wattage or power output of the light bulb, the distance from the light source, and the type of material or medium through which the light is passing.

4. How does the intensity of light in a light bulb impact the brightness?

The intensity of light in a light bulb directly impacts the brightness of the light. As the intensity increases, the light appears brighter to the human eye. However, the perceived brightness also depends on the sensitivity of the human eye to different wavelengths of light.

5. How does a physicist describe the intensity of light in a light bulb?

A physicist would describe the intensity of light in a light bulb as the rate of energy flow per unit area. It is also described as the luminous flux per unit solid angle. In simpler terms, it is the amount of light energy emitted from the light bulb in a specific direction.