Plane Wave propogation dependent on space and timez

In summary: If you pick a value of z, the phase is the same for a given value of t whatever x and y are : a plane.
fred3142
Hi,

I've been looking at some animations of plane waves, and I really cannot see why a plane wave's electric field is dependent on both t and z. Isn't z a function of t? I would've thought that z could be written in terms of t. Can it? Is there no link between z and t?

$$
\mathbf{E}(x,y,z;t) = \mathbf{E}_o e^{\jmath(\omega t - kz)}
$$

Physics news on Phys.org
fred3142 said:
Hi,

I've been looking at some animations of plane waves, and I really cannot see why a plane wave's electric field is dependent on both t and z. Isn't z a function of t? I would've thought that z could be written in terms of t. Can it? Is there no link between z and t?

$$
\mathbf{E}(x,y,z;t) = \mathbf{E}_o e^{\jmath(\omega t - kz)}
$$

Pick a particular value of t and plug it in, and you'll have an equation in which z is the only variable; that is, you can use it to find out what the value of E will be at any point in space at that particular time.

Conversely, pick a value of z and and plug it in, and you'll have an equation in which t is the only variable; that is, you can use it to find out what the value of E will be at that point in space at any time.

Leave both z and t as independent variables and you have an equation which tells you what the value of E is at any time (pick your t value) and any place (pick your z value).

Likes 1 person
Hi,
In a plane wave, E is not plane, but the surface where all the points of the field are in phase is a plane. In the equation, if you pick a value of t, the phase is the same for a given value of z whatever x and y are : a plane.

1. What is plane wave propagation dependent on space and time?

Plane wave propagation describes the behavior of a wave as it travels through space and time. It is dependent on both the spatial and temporal coordinates of the wave.

2. How is plane wave propagation different from other types of wave propagation?

Unlike other types of wave propagation, plane wave propagation assumes that the wave is traveling in a straight line with a constant amplitude and phase. This simplifies the mathematical analysis of the wave's behavior.

3. What factors affect plane wave propagation?

The speed and direction of the wave, as well as the properties of the medium through which it is traveling, can affect plane wave propagation. Other factors such as obstacles and interference can also impact the behavior of the wave.

4. What is the mathematical equation for plane wave propagation?

The mathematical equation for plane wave propagation is given by the wave equation, which describes the relationship between the wave's spatial and temporal coordinates, as well as its amplitude and frequency. It is often written as:
E(x,t) = A cos(kx - ωt + φ),
where E is the electric field, x is the spatial coordinate, t is the temporal coordinate, A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase.

5. How is plane wave propagation used in scientific research and applications?

Plane wave propagation is used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, acoustics, and optics. It is also used in practical applications such as radar and telecommunications, where the behavior of electromagnetic waves is important. Understanding plane wave propagation allows scientists and engineers to predict and manipulate the behavior of waves in different environments.