Need help in solving thermo problem

• Thread starter Ossdon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermo
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of heating water with a fireplace and the use of a copper pipe inside the fireplace. The parameters for the problem are also provided, including the fireplace temperature, chopper pipe diameter, and water speed. The question is how long it would take for 23°C water to heat up to 55°C in a 1000°C oven. The expert suggests using steel pipe instead of copper due to its higher melting point and ability to be threaded or welded.
Ossdon
Hi
The thermo problem is as follow:
I have a fireplace and I have an underfloor water pipe heating. currently the underfloor water is heated by gas burner.
I want that the water will also be heated by the fireplace, so I plane to place a chopper pipe inside the fireplace and run the underfloor water trough it.
I need to find out what should be the length of the chopper pipe inside the fireplace.
Here are the parameters:
Fireplace temperature = ~ 1000'C
Chopper pipe diameter: Inside = 11mm, Outside = 13mm.
water speed in the pipe = 2500L/hour.
water temp at the start of the pipe is 23'C.
water temp at the end of the pipe should be 55'C.

what should be the length of the chopper pipe inside the fireplace so water entering the pipe in 23'C exit the pipe in 55'C?

Whats I'm asking is, how long it takes for a 23'C water to heat up to 55'C in a 1000'C oven.

Please replay with the relevant equations and the way to solve the problem.

Tnx a lot
Ilan

Science news on Phys.org
I take it that 'chopper pipe' is actually copper pipe, that is pipe made from copper (Cu).

I would advise against using copper, especially since its melting temp. is 1085 C. You also could not use solder to join any pipe sections, since the M.P. of solder is much lower than the M.P. of copper. You would probably need to use steel pipe, since that material can be threaded or welded and doesn't work-harden like Cu.

Yes, sorry not chopper but copper.
The pipe with running water inside will never rich the 1085'C.
there will not be any solders or joints.
Tnx

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its transformation into different forms of energy.

2. What is a thermo problem?

A thermo problem is a mathematical or conceptual problem that involves the principles of thermodynamics, such as heat transfer, energy conversion, and thermodynamic processes.

3. How do I approach solving a thermo problem?

The first step in solving a thermo problem is to understand the given conditions and identify the relevant thermodynamic principles that apply. Then, use equations and formulas to calculate the unknown variables and interpret the results in the context of the problem.

4. What are some common challenges when solving thermo problems?

Solving thermo problems can be challenging due to the complexity of the concepts and equations involved. Some common challenges include identifying the correct thermodynamic principles to apply, setting up the problem correctly, and dealing with multiple variables and units.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving thermo problems?

To improve your skills in solving thermo problems, it is essential to have a solid understanding of the fundamental principles of thermodynamics. Practice solving a variety of problems, and seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor if needed. Additionally, make sure to check your work and understand any mistakes to learn from them.